I was bored...so I built a brewery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't upload all the build pics so I made a personal facebook page.

www.facebook.com/DeadReckoningBrewingCompany

I started brewing about a year ago and I really have enjoyed it... the fun is in all the Marines' faces I work with; they always enjoy the test batches I give away. The experience of brewing has been therapy after 17 year in the Marine Corps. Cheers all. Hope you enjoy the pictures...Travis

2012-12-23 18.12.15.jpg

2012-12-23 20.35.33.jpg

2012-12-30 02.52.53.jpg

2012-12-31 23.45.43.jpg

2013-01-05 21.55.13.jpg

Wow, pretty sweet little setup. I can't wait to be out of an apartment and have a garage of my own to do something like that. Love the paddles on the corners, pretty creative.

Nice, looks good. When you light those jet burners, start out slow and keep checking the heat on things around them. They run hot, if the sun goes out you can relight it.

Very cool. But what are you planning to tell the cops when they show up on a tip from your neighbor that you're cooking meth in your garage?

I love this build! I especially like the little hutch for books and things. One of these days perhaps I will live in a place big enough to spread out a bit and totally steal that idea :)

And people say necessity is the mother of invention.
Looks fantastic! Good luck on the maiden brew.

Is that a compass for navigating through a brew session?

Every brewer needs one of those on his sculpture...

Thanks all for the comments....I grew up in the Marine Corps ...Force Recon and Small Craft (Boats/Amphib) so the navigation theme was a must. That is a compass (always wanted a Red Rider BB Gun with a Compass in the Stock) ...went with a brewery instead. I did build an Oast as pictured and I use it to malt barley right now. The idea with the navigation light is for them to light up as #1 & #2 pumps are turned on (Port and Starboard lights...lol) I love IPAs also ...so that's fitting to the theme on exporting beer to India. I ripped alot of boards to get that crate look on the mash tun and book/equipment storage. I hope you all enjoy looking through the pictures on here and facebook...it's always cool to hear poeple's reactions to your insanity moments of good ideas ("I think I'll make a brewery"...Wife says, the hell you talking about building now?!...lol)

Wow! that looks great! I can't wait to get a bigger house so I can make stuff like that...

I can't upload all the build pics so I made a personal facebook page.

www.facebook.com/DeadReckoningBrewingCompany

I started brewing about a year ago and I really have enjoyed it... the fun is in all the Marines' faces I work with; they always enjoy the test batches I give away. The experience of brewing has been therapy after 17 year in the Marine Corps. Cheers all. Hope you enjoy the pictures...Travis

Looks Great!!

Ooohrah Travis. Just dont let any of your battle buddies get too tipsy and try to drive home. DUI is a career ender now days so remember to take care of every brother in arms. No one left behind!!!!! Semper Fi from a straight leg army ground pounder 11Bravo ( bullit stopper.)
Wheelchair Bob

My tri-clamp SS fittings are in...with my filter/hop back as well. Things are looking pretty good on the build. So for the light details but my a busy man. I uploaded a vid of the burners on my FB page it you'd like to see the jets burning. Take care all....Trav

2013-03-02 18.13.17.jpg

2013-03-02 18.12.08.jpg

2013-03-02 20.39.26.jpg

2013-03-02 18.12.31.jpg

2013-02-01 20.09.55.jpg

Guvnorlecappere said:
Thanks all for the comments....I grew up in the Marine Corps ...Force Recon and Small Craft (Boats/Amphib) so the navigation theme was a must. That is a compass (always wanted a Red Rider BB Gun with a Compass in the Stock) ...went with a brewery instead. I did build an Oast as pictured and I use it to malt barley right now. The idea with the navigation light is for them to light up as #1 & #2 pumps are turned on (Port and Starboard lights...lol) I love IPAs also ...so that's fitting to the theme on exporting beer to India. I ripped alot of boards to get that crate look on the mash tun and book/equipment storage. I hope you all enjoy looking through the pictures on here and facebook...it's always cool to hear poeple's reactions to your insanity moments of good ideas ("I think I'll make a brewery"...Wife says, the hell you talking about building now?!...lol)

If you were Force Recon and small craft you know my brother from another mother Gunny Vince McLeod! Well maybe not... I forget how long we've been retired...

Love the build though! You've inspired me to build something similar!

I was at 5th Force and then we re-designated to 3rd Recon Bn in Okinawa....2000-2006. You know Barry Morgan or Willie E. Thom or Brad Lithea?

As for the build....I have the pimps and 40 plate chiller coming. I really don't know how it came to this point but I've enjoyed the experience of brewing. I'm looking into electric components that I'm going to add later. I still need to add a mermaid to the front and do a nice paddle wrapping job some day soon.

The filter system also fits the kettle lids. I was hoping to use this for my hops in the wort...we'll see. The building of the stir plate was pretty cool...and very easy.

Oh yeah...I built an oast and started malting my own barley so that's cool.

2013-03-02 20.44.34.jpg

2013-03-02 20.45.43.jpg

2013-01-21 11.59.51.jpg

2013-01-28 21.35.38.jpg

2013-02-01 20.09.23.jpg

I had alot of 1x1's left over from the Mash Tun so I added a place for books and small equipment.

2013-01-21 11.59.18.jpg

2013-01-21 11.58.10.jpg

2013-01-21 11.57.25.jpg

2013-01-21 11.57.48.jpg

2012-12-31 23.45.56.jpg

Port and Starboard Light for Pump 1 & 2...My favorite beer...Moose Drool and the artwork in the brewery.

2013-02-01 20.08.36.jpg

2013-02-01 20.08.49.jpg

2012-11-04 16.36.19.jpg

2013-01-16 23.05.26.jpg

2013-01-06 00.10.49.jpg

Guvnorlecappere said:
I was at 5th Force and then we re-designated to 3rd Recon Bn in Okinawa....2000-2006. You know Barry Morgan or Willie E. Thom or Brad Lithea?

As for the build....I have the pimps and 40 plate chiller coming. I really don't know how it came to this point but I've enjoyed the experience of brewing. I'm looking into electric components that I'm going to add later. I still need to add a mermaid to the front and do a nice paddle wrapping job some day soon.

The filter system also fits the kettle lids. I was hoping to use this for my hops in the wort...we'll see. The building of the stir plate was pretty cool...and very easy.

Oh yeah...I built an oast and started malting my own barley so that's cool.

I know their names and have probably drank beer with them... I was a squid from 86-06 and Vince was my neighbor in the mid 90's we used to have huge parties. At that time he was a force recon instructor at Coronado and then inspected all the dive lockers in the USN/USMC I still talk to him and I'm going to see him next month.

Dude your brewery is turning out so awesome! I think a mermaid on the front would be bad-a$$! Do you have a grain grinder and I missed it? Also a sprinkling system above the mash tun for sparging would be cool! I'm jealous both of your brewery and that you have that understanding of a wife... Lmao mines still not real wild about my brewing!

Do you have plans on how you made the PWM control box? That's the exact build I'm looking to do. Thanks Steve

Guvnorlecappere said:
I would like to have a control box to monitor temps and control the flame, etc...not electric valves but something easy to build. I'm looking at the PIDs but I have not decided on a certain control box set up yet. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=pid+temperature+controller&_frs=1

Without electric valves you aren't going to be able to automate the temperature control... The PID will give you an alarm which would be helpful. But for it to be accurate the sensor will have to be in the wort

Without electric valves you aren't going to be able to automate the temperature control... The PID will give you an alarm which would be helpful. But for it to be accurate the sensor will have to be in the wort

I see...is there a thread on the forum that is very detailed on this matter? Another question i have is the march pumps...is it better to pull the wort through the chiller or filter or whatever ....or push it through? As long as the pump doesn't run dry it shouldn't matter correct?

Thanks all for the kind words and interest in this build...it's been very helpful

Guvnorlecappere said:
I see...is there a thread on the forum that is very detailed on this matter? Another question i have is the march pumps...is it better to pull the wort through the chiller or filter or whatever ....or push it through? As long as the pump doesn't run dry it shouldn't matter correct?

Thanks all for the kind words and interest in this build...it's been very helpful

I don't know about a thread here, you can search them...
When pumping the wort I don't think pulling or pushing matters, however if you plan on pushing hot wort through a chiller make sure the pump is most importantly food grade and also that it can handle the heat of near boiling wort.

I finished the hops in the iron work this weekend. I think it turned out right nice. Unique...that's what makes this build fun. I had to order a 6" pipe for the filter but I made a holder for it that looks like a chest some what. Changed the burners around because them girls are hot...lowered and put the control up front. Getting the wiring done on the pumps now...Mmmmmm

:tank:

2013-03-31 09.47.29.jpg

2013-03-31 09.47.07.jpg

2013-03-31 09.48.04.jpg

2013-03-30 18.57.03.jpg

2013-03-30 18.56.58.jpg

I remain impressed. Was totally ready for this last post to drop my expectations...but nope...still looks pretty darned cool. I would go a shade darker on the green but that's why it is your build and not mine!

Back