Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
I just brewed this past weekend and I have a few questions on gravity. Before I pitched the yeast I checked the gravity. It was a little low. How can I get the gravity where I want it? Do I let it sit more? Do I have to boil more? I know that once l it's fermenting that you need to check the gravity and it will go down with time. I just don't know what to do if its lower then I need. How do I make it go from 1.066 to 1.078?
I hope you can underst d the the question.

You'll be fine. That is a great original gravity.

Some guys keep dried malt extract on hand to bring SG up.

You could boil longer. What style are you? ..all grain, brew in a bag, extract?

Longer boils on extract mat get singed on the bottom.

Dynachrome said:
You'll be fine. That is a great original gravity.

Some guys keep dried malt extract on hand to bring SG up.

You could boil longer. What style are you? ..all grain, brew in a bag, extract?

Longer boils on extract mat get singed on the bottom.

It's a one gallon all grain IPA. It is my first all grain so I did a some batch.

With all grain, as you learn, you get better, OGs will go up. Also, readings aren't always perfect because wort isn't always perfectly mixed / uniform. Many do just boil longer until the gravity is as desired.

Cyclman said:
With all grain, as you learn, you get better, OGs will go up. Also, readings aren't always perfect because wort isn't always perfectly mixed / uniform. Many do just boil longer until the gravity is as desired.

Yes I was just thinking it would be closer to what I wanted.

How fine your grain is milled has a direct impact impact on your OG also. After a few batches(keep good notes) you can figure out your efficiency and the. Adjust your recipes accordingly. I typically get around 85% efficiency doing all grain with batch sparging. Most recipes are gauged around 75% I use beer alchemy punch in the ingredients then adjust the efficiency for mash to 85% and that tells me what my OG should be for 85% and I'm usually within a few points +\- you can also work it the other way by seeing what the recipe should be based in the 75%Average for most kits then set your efficiency to 85% and decrease the quantities of fermentables till you reach the OG in the original recipe. Hope some of this info helps out.

GilSwillBasementBrews said:
How fine your grain is milled has a direct impact impact on your OG also. After a few batches(keep good notes) you can figure out your efficiency and the. Adjust your recipes accordingly. I typically get around 85% efficiency doing all grain with batch sparging. Most recipes are gauged around 75% I use beer alchemy punch in the ingredients then adjust the efficiency for mash to 85% and that tells me what my OG should be for 85% and I'm usually within a few points +\- you can also work it the other way by seeing what the recipe should be based in the 75%Average for most kits then set your efficiency to 85% and decrease the quantities of fermentables till you reach the OG in the original recipe. Hope some of this info helps out.

No that helps a lot. I'm still new to it so it will take me a while to fully understand.

I don't do this in-depth, but a lot of guys calculate how much volume they need to loose.

Try brewmate or brewtarget or one of the programs out there. They help dial you in.

If your gravity was low you should have boiled longer.(before adding the hops) However, once you add the hops the longer you boil the further off you will be from your intended end product. You need to know what you starting gravity should be before making your first hop addition.

Back