Weird floculation or something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsit

Reaction score
Just need a second opinion, does this look weird? Starter is an 800ml 1.035 starter of some saved second runnings. Yeast was about one full White Labs vial of yeast slurry taken off a recently finished 1.047 OG beer. I washed the yeast (not very much, just enough to get some of the discolored trub off. It seemed to clump like this after washing, and looked normal before. I had it on the starter stir plate for a little short of 48 hours, sometime after 36 hours it clumped up like this. Is it just trying hard to floc out, or is there anything wrong with it?

image.jpg

Here is a better picture it wouldn't upload the first time. This is while the stir plate is active.

image.jpg

It's AHS Persica WLP266. I didn't notice this kind of clumping when I originally pitched it, and I did use a starter then, as well. However, that starter went about 24 hours, then was pitched directly.

Back