Harpoon White IPA clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey there. So I am a current Mr. Beer brewer, but I have plans to step up to a five gallon, all-grain or at least partial mash setup in the new year. I came across the Harpoon White IPA at a tour of their brewery and fell in love. I have contacted them for a recipe to clone it, but to no avail. I was wondering if some of the seasoned vets on here might be able to help me come up with a recipe to mimic the beer if possible. I have included a link to their page which lists as much info as I have for them.
http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/beer/...te-IPA?&_suid=1356103063670030200311502727767

I appreciate any help!

Joe

50% Wheat Malt
45% Belgian Pilsner
3% Aromatic
2% Rice Hulls

60 minute boil 5 gal batch
Bitter with something high AA%, I prefer chinook (adjust amount for ibus)
0.5oz 15 minute additions of simcoe/citra/cascade
at 5 min 1oz orange peel and 0.5 oz Indian coriander (both should be at lhbs)
Same hops at flameout (0.5oz or 1)

I suspect that American breweries use a neutral ale yeast when making wipa's but I've used the wyeast wit strain and it was god damn awesome, especially in the warmer temps for lots of fruity notes as well

not sure how this recipe would play out in partial mash, but a 10 gal cooler mashtun should run around $100 if you buy the parts separately and assemble yourself

Has anyone given this a try yet?
I love this beer and it would be great to brew a clone.
I use Chinook a lot and I don't think that is going to get you the sort of light citrusy hop character that this beer has.
The site says Simcoe, Citra, and Cascade are what they use.
I might give this one a go with the grain bill suggested above and this combination of hops. (may have to do this a few times to get the right order and amount :) ) The whit yeast sounds like a good suggestion too.

Back