What does a basic in-line rv Filter do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have added a culligan in-line water filter to my water source. It's a fairly simple carbon filter.

I had my water tested at Ward labs prior to this addition.. What components of my water will be impacted by this? I'm assuming chlorine is the major thing removed. Anything else that may impact my water significantly?. Should I retest the new water?

Here is the unit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VQHRCC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
It will reduce chlorine, organics (tastes, odors).
You might look for one containing kdf, I believe it helps inhibit bacterial growth too.

It appears this filter is just activated carbon. Therefor it is capable of reducing chloramine and chlorine to chloride ion thus effectively removing those. It will also adsorb many organics such as those that render water musty or earthy smelling.

KDF is capable of reducing the cations of some metals to the native metal which then binds with the medium. Thus KDF filters are effective at removing to at least some extent some of the nasty heavy metals. They have no effect on bacteria (that I'm aware of) though it should be a simple matter to incorporate some silver which would give a bacteriostatic effect. Would this upset the redox which is what gets the heavy metals? Don't know.

Thanks. I started treating my water a few months back. My main reason for picking this up was to get rid of chlorine/chloramine. I just want to make sure I'm not screwing with anything else that could throw off the rest of the water chemistry.

Back