Cider VS Juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgian Novice

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I tried to be good and use the cider forum and no one responded. It appears that most of us brew beer, and y'all might know my answer. Since I am planning on doing this tomorrow, sure, I will post here. Send all complaints to my home office - PO Box 1123, NY, NY. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Alight, here is a strange question. . .I have several recipes to start my first batch of brewing hard apple cider. I go to the store and I see several choices. There is Apple Juice, pastuerized, with nothing else but Asorbic Acid (Vitamin C) added and then there is Apple Cider, pastuerized, with nothing added. Sometimes the Juice has the Vit. C and Calcium, but I can only find the Apple Juice with nothing added when I see the gallon bottles of Apple Juice made from concentrate with just Juice, Water, from concentrate.

Is the Asorbic Acid a preservative and which is better to use. . the Juice or the Cider (and what is the difference?)

Thanks for the clarification.

Asorbic Acid is a preservative. I don't know if they are legal definitions, but usage around here is: juice = filtered, cider = unfiltered. The ideal is freshly pressed, unfiltered cider without any preservatives. I've also made good hard cider from frozen concentrate. Asorbic acid doesn't seem to be a problem.

david_42 said:
Asorbic Acid is a preservative. I don't know if they are legal definitions, but usage around here is: juice = filtered, cider = unfiltered. The ideal is freshly pressed, unfiltered cider without any preservatives. I've also made good hard cider from frozen concentrate. Asorbic acid doesn't seem to be a problem.
Thank you much. Always the little things that may get you in the end so I wanted to gather as much information as possible before moving forward. Appreciate the help a lot. :)

Back