How undrinkable will this be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeekage

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a 2.5gal batch of Smoked Porter. I used the BYO Stone Smoked Porter clone recipe and scaled it in beersmith. The original recipe calls for 1oz of "lightly peated" malt. Well, when I scaled it from 5 gallons to 2.5 gallons (or maybe i typed it wrong to begin with) beersmith converted that to 2oz. Of course my LHBS doesnt have lightly peated malt, only peated malt.

So now I've got a half size beer with twice as much peated malt as the full recipe calls for!!! I've never brewed with peated malt before but it's strong stuff from what i've read. It just went in the fermenter yesterday and I didn't taste the hydro sample before pitching (ooops). Just curious how you guys think this will end up.

I love me a smokey beer for sure but am not a fan of liquid cigarettes.:mug:

I've not brewed with smoked malt, but from what I've read, it ages out. So, you may not have something drinkable after the normal couple of weeks, but if you let it sit for a while, it should turn out ok.

As stated; as it ages it will mellow out. But do sample it, 2oz is not a crazy amount in 2.5G batch and before you package it make sure you get all the yeast to drop out. You may want to cold crash it and then transfer and do a long secondary,if the samples are too strong.
Then it should be fine.

@runs4beer just curious why dropping all the yeast out would help the smokey flavor? I was planning on bottling this batch since it's only 2.5g so I'll need some yeast for conditioning. I suppose I could force carb and then bottle though.

I haven't done a secondary yet, but if this is overwhelming then maybe I will. I don't really have an easy way to cold crash. My spare side-by-side fridge has 4 kegs filling it, and the freezer part won't go above 20f without me doing some rewiring or something.

I will sample it and hydro test in a couple more days and see how it is. I like the idea of blending if it's way overwhelming. maybe i'll try that. Thanks for the help.

I've found that a lot of the smoke aroma will stay with the yeast so the clearer you can get it the less pungent it will be (similar to hop aroma). Should be getting cold in boston soon leave it some where overnight where it will get cold and then in the morning pack it in a tub with ice.

BUT I'm still not convinced that you'll think it too much smoke.

If it is, blending is a great idea too. Or depending on the size of the carboy its in now brew another small batch and put it right on top of this one in the carboy then you can fill a keg and can skip bottling altogether.

Aah i see. Putting it outside is a good idea. It will probably be pretty cold in a week or two when I'm ready. Right now it's only in the mid 50s at night.

I hope it is not too much smoke for sure. We will see when I sample.

It's in a 3 gallon carboy so no dumping another batch on top. I could brew another, put it in a 5 gallon carboy and then rack this batch right on top of it, sucking up a good part of the yeast cake.

I'm just hoping its got the perfect amount of smoke though. I did the half batch so i can tweak it before brewing a full batch for this winter. So i'm glad this one is the experimental one for sure. Less money down the drain that way.

Back