figs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
Can you do anything with figs? I have a fig tree in my front yard and I was thinking about the possibility of a fig beer. I mean they're there, so why the hell not?

If you like cider, chopped figs make a wonderfull substitute for chopped raisens or dates.

I added figs to one half of my last barleywine. Split the batch. It's only in the secondary, but I like the taste. 1 and 1/2 pounds into 2.5 gallons. You can taste the fig, most might not identify as figs, but has that dark fruit taste. I'm going to give it more time, maybe add more maybe not. So far so good, I'll let you know.

landhoney,
How is your fig barleywine progressing? I have a tree about to produce tons of figs, and was thinking of a Belgain something. Is the 1.5lb:2.5gal OK, or would you go more 1:1 or 1.5:1?

javedian said:
landhoney,
How is your fig barleywine progressing? I have a tree about to produce tons of figs, and was thinking of a Belgain something. Is the 1.5lb:2.5gal OK, or would you go more 1:1 or 1.5:1?

I'm concerned that we're not comparing apples to apples, mine were dried figs so I'm not sure it will be the same. Although its been too long since I've had a fresh fig(they're great aren't they) I think they have a brighter/fruitier taste than the dried. That to say, mine is still in secondary and there is a distinct dark fruit taste to it, I think 99% wouldn't be able to pick out the 'fig'. I like the belgian idea, I think the fresh might go well with dark or light belgian styles(dubbel, tripel, strong light/dark belgian ale). I'd go easy at first, and then you can always add more. Sorry for the late reply, out of town. Hope this helps.

Back