Corking Sparkling mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierSnob

Reaction score
Bottled 2.5 gallon ( 1/2 batch ) of a raspberry melomel last night in champagne bottles with champagne corks for the first time. I had a hard time with getting the correct amount of the cork outside of the bottle. Will the cork be pushed out of the bottle and against the cage as it pressurizes? I also noticed that with the same setting on the corker that some of the corks didn't have the same depth when finished. Is there a trick to setting the cork depth for champagne corks? I bottled the first half as a still mead for long term aging.

Thanks for the help.
Mark

As far as the pressure pushing the cork against the wire cage, the answer is yes.

Did you use real cork mushroom corks? Did you use the champagne cork capable corker?

When I bottle sparkling wine, I use the plastic champagne stoppers & just tap them in with a rubber mallet, then use the cage tool to twist on the wire cages. Regards, GF.

Yep, Used real mushroom corks (they start out strait) in a champagne floor corker. I bought it for sparkling meads and Belgium ales (when I start brewing more than just wit biers).

Back