Best Beginning Beer Brewing Books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
alliteration, anyone?

Anyway, I'm just curious as to what book I should pick up next? Right now I'm just got John Palmer's How To Brew, which is infinitely helpful, but I'd like to add a couple books to my library, for cross-referencing, misc topics, etc... I'd also like books that focus on certain subjects (i.e. equipment, AG/PM, hops, etc...)

Any reco's from the experienced brewers round here?

Much appreciated!

-Kelly

Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer is cool if you want some great recipes that are pretty easy for beginners, but are also good for more experienced brewers.

My favorite book by far is Ray Daniels Deisgning Great Beers, but it is definately an advanced book, but a great resource for really understanding how everything works together to make a great recipe.

Much appreciated, I'll probably end up ordering all of them, starting with Designing Great Beers.

Brewing Classic Styles

if you want something that will blow your mind, pick up Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow.

Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione (founder of Dogfish Head). Great book with interesting and extreme recipes!

I'm in the same boat and this is my shopping list:

Clonebrews by Tess-Szamatulski (pretty psyc'd for about this one)

Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charles-Papazian (suggested by just about anyone you ask about homebrewing)

Year-of-Beer by Amahl-Turczyn (from the description, a great 'seasonal' recipe book)

How to Brew by John Palmer...hands down. Its relaxed enough...but has better info in my opinion than Charlie's book.

Put another way, both books work for 'brewing for fun'...but Palmer's book will take you to the next level, while Charlie's may leave you hanging.

the printed book is VERY in-depth...the website How to Brew - By John Palmer is a good high-level primer...excerpts from the full book basically.

I read Dave Miller's book (Can't remember the title) but it was discouraging. The Joy of Hombrewing by Papazian is a nice friendly starter. It is encouraging and exciting for getting started. I think you'll want other books once you're confident.

Technique: How to Brew
Philosophy and backstory: JOHB
Recipes: Brewing Classic Styles
Mechanics: Designing Great Beers

I loved "Designing Great Beers". I learned a lot from that book and was able to make some nice brew from scratch after reading it. It is a bit more advanced but it also helped me put together some of the pieces I was missing.

I found the Complete Joy of Home Brewing 3rd edition by Papazian to be very informative and has something for everyone.

Also not a brewing book but a great read is The Brewmaster's Table by Garrett Oliver (Head of Brooklyn Brewery). The book is filled with wonderful history of beer, histories of distinct styles, brewing styles, and most importantly how beer and food mix just as well if not better than wine. An educational and fun read.

Back