Cleaning Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnesnowtaBrew

Reaction score
Is it ok to wash bottles through the dishwasher? Obviously I'm going to sanitize them before racking, just curious how some of you guys do it. I'm not kegging currently

Rinse them well with hot water shake and flush good(4-5 X) after drinking.When I have enough stacked up over the week I use a bottle brush/baking soda hot water to clean,then drip dry,store covered,then sanitize when I use them again. You can sanitize before storing if it makes you feel better,I havent and have never had a problem because there is nothing for bacteria to grown on basically.Flushing them good < a day after drinking(preferrably after pouring them,or the end of night) is key to cleaning/sanitizing an almost already clean anyway bottle. Pre(rinsing/flushing)- cleaning makes cleaning better. Its kinda how I like to do dishes(when I do them),prerinsing.Makes cleaning way easier. No cake on crusty stuff/mold.

A jet bottle washer is not a bad idea also. I do small batches also so its not a big deal doing 16 bottles compared to 50 I guess. Although now I just recycle my own homebrew bottles when I have them,which is random so I only have to clean less than a dozen a week. Still, I think if you preflush well then when your ready to throw them in the diswasher they would be fine,although I dont think you want to use the washing detergent.

I run my flip bottles through the dishwasher every time. I also rinse once I pour a beer so I dont have any built up residue.

Yes it's ok. Just do not use soap.

What I do and suggest is running a rinse cycle with no soap before putting your bottles in, to clear any residue. Then put your bottles in run one cycle of rinse no soap. Then run 3 cycles of dry (some have plate warmer setting) to sanitize.

this is all assuming you rinse your bottles well after each use

I use dishwasher every time. Just make sure when you take them out that there isn't any yeast still clinging to the bottom. Happens every once in a while, though I think the steam of the dry cycle sterilizes the bottles anyways.

Back