can anyone tell me if this is a extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutmonster

Reaction score
is this a extract recipe ? if not can anyone help me covert this ?i really want to do this recipe but im fairly new to brewing ..

Rocky River “Chocolate Jitters”

5 US. Gallons (19 L), extract with grains

OG=1.071

FG=1.018

IBU’S = 21-24

SRM= 30

Alcohol 7.0% by volume

Ingredients

6.6 Lbs. (3.0 kg) Coopers Unhopped Light malt extract syrup

0.75 Lbs. (340 g.) Coopers Light dry malt extract

1.0 Lbs. (454 g.) Munich Malt (Dark 20L)

1.0 Lbs. (454 g.) Munich Malt (Light 10L)

0.75 Lbs. (340 g.) Aromatic Malt

0.44 Lbs. (200 g.) Weyermann Carafa III Malt (500L)

0.44 Lbs. (200 g.) Chocolate Malt

0.75 Lbs. (340 g.) Lactose (milk sugar, boil 60 min.)

2.5 oz (70 g.) Belgian Chocolate (melted)

Half of a Whole Vanilla Bean (add to secondary fermenter)

3.3 AAU Tettnanger hops (bittering hop, boil 60 min.)

(0.75 Oz. (21 g) of 4.5% Alpha acid)

3.3 AAU Tettnanger hops (bittering hop, boil 30 min.)

(0.75 Oz. (21 g) of 4.5% Alpha acid)

1.0 AAU Liberty hops (in Hopback)

(0.25 Oz. (7 g) of 4.0% Alpha acid)

Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast or White Labs WLP029 yeast

20 oz of cold brewed Jamaican Blue Coffee (add at bottling)

O.75 cup (180 ml) of corn sugar for priming.

Yup, it's an extract recipe with specialty grains. You'll basically want to steep the grains (read up on how to do that, but it's simple) before the boil, then add the extract and boil.

Munich malt has enough diastatic power to convert itself, so you could do this as a partial mash as well, but it wouldn't be very efficient with the other grains in there.

To be honest, it might be simpler brewing a straightfroward all-grain recipe. You've got chocolate, vanilla and coffee, plus lactose, plus a hop back and a secondary and a starter. Maybe you could add some Brett.

thanks guys,

Deathbrewer, so i basicly want to do what jamesnsw said , im familair with steeping.

That is an interesting recipe. Please let us know how it turns out.

I am still new to brewing myself but I have done a couple of recipes with special grains. I just put the grains in a cheesecloth bag I got from my LHBS and steeped them in about 3 gal of water for a half hour at around 160 degrees for a half hour. Then I brought my water to a boil and added the extract.

I haven't done a Hopback like this recipe calls for. Someone else will need to help you with that.

I know that this is a clone recipe, but with everything else that is going on in it I have a hard time believing that a half of a vanilla bean will do anything to it. Personally I'd either skip it or go with a full bean.

That is an interesting recipe. Please let us know how it turns out.

I am still new to brewing myself but I have done a couple of recipes with special grains. I just put the grains in a cheesecloth bag I got from my LHBS and steeped them in about 3 gal of water for a half hour at around 160 degrees for a half hour. Then I brought my water to a boil and added the extract.

I haven't done a Hopback like this recipe calls for. Someone else will need to help you with that.

i know its a little late but this turned out amazing. just dont put as much lactose , and i would recomend more chocolate .

Back