My Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I converted a Haier 5.2 cu ft fridge to a fermentation chamber. I am using an analog Johnson Controller and it seems to work really well. Tomorrow night will be the real test when I ferment my first brew in it.

Fermentation Chamber.jpg

How about a brief explanation on how this works... I have never looked into fermentation chambers of any kind. All I know is that a regular refrigerator wont' let you set it warm enough. What kind of 'controller' is involved and how does it work?

I have a Johnson analog temp controller: NORTHERN BREWER: Fermentation Temperature Control. I plug the fridge plug into the temp controller, the controller into your outlet and set the dial to the desired temp. You set the fridge to its lowest setting and the temp controller overrides the fridge. Presently it is holding a couple sixers of homebrew at a comfortable 36 degrees.

Any chance you can post a picture of it with the bucket and carboy in there? I am looking to put something together real quick.

Thanks!

Cool. I am trying to build something that will hold 2-4 carboys. Build or buy I guess. Right now I have two primaries running my porter but this Friday I am planning to rack it to secondary and then pitch a Buckwheat Honey Black Ale on top of the yeast. The problem is that I need to control temps on two 6.5 gallon and two 5 gallon carboys. At the moment I am using my keg system freezer to control the temps but of course once I have my kegs back in there that will be a problem!

Everyone in my area is selling upright freezers.. (jerks!) or 5.5cu. chest freezers. Sigh. I like your setup and I could build an additional chamber on the front. but probably not enough to get all of what I want. Your beer looks happy!

I have seen people extend a mini fridge like mine with the use of insulation board. I contemplated getting something bigger but I am going to be moving in the next few months so I thought smaller is better for now. Why can't you use an upright freezer? Not enough room? I do a batch every other two weeks, have no AC in the house, but I do have a basement. I do 7-10 days in the fridge then bring it down to the basement. It is a good rotation schedule for now.

We will see how happy the beer is tonight when I get home. ( if she is bubbling away or not)

I have seen people extend a mini fridge like mine with the use of insulation board. I contemplated getting something bigger but I am going to be moving in the next few months so I thought smaller is better for now. Why can't you use an upright freezer? Not enough room? I do a batch every other two weeks, have no AC in the house, but I do have a basement. I do 7-10 days in the fridge then bring it down to the basement. It is a good rotation schedule for now.

We will see how happy the beer is tonight when I get home. ( if she is bubbling away or not)

I suppose I could, if the shelves can be arranged in such a way to fit everything. Most comments I've seen on uprights is that the shelves don't come out. If they do then I have a plethora of choices here. Is there any way to tell?

I just need to find something that will house all the carboys.

I got an old freezer for free. The cooling coils were also the shelves and that made it impossible to put anything in it. So I extended it about 30" or so with some SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels). I have a Love controller wired to it along with a fan that blows over the coils when it comes on. It works great. I have a Munich Dunkel largering in it now.

fermenter21.JPG

fermenter3.JPG

Please note the high tech device that I used to hold the door closed, a 25# weight. I'm getting more use out of it now then I have since I bought it.

Nick

I love the fridge idea, and hope it works out! I had that exact fridge in college, and I remember everything that i put on the top shelf froze. Does yours freeze at the top too? Are you able to control the temp from freezing, and if so, please share!

Thanks!

I like your idea. Good use of the gym equipment..lol. As long as you can lift a pint that is all that matters...lol Mine is still working well. I had a batch of Sake in there and I am cold crashing an APA at the moment. I upgraded to a digital temp controller. I have the one from Williams Brewing. I got it off of craigslist with the heating pad for $60

I love the fridge idea, and hope it works out! I had that exact fridge in college, and I remember everything that i put on the top shelf froze. Does yours freeze at the top too? Are you able to control the temp from freezing, and if so, please share!

Thanks!

The temp controller will only cycle the cooling enough to keep the fridge/freezer at fermentation temps. It basically replaces the fridge/freezer internal thermostat.

Some controllers also come with a heating setting that will turn on a heat lamp if the temp drops too much, like for when you want to ferment when the basement or garage is too cold. They are only a little bit more than the standard version.

Latest posts

Back