A little gypsum anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I work for a soils engineering company in Orange County, CA and one of the several jobs we do is landslide repair. At a site last year, I found a vein of gypsum running right through the hillside that we were repairing between some houses. In this case, the gypsum was formed when ancient landslides allowed water, carrying minerals, to seep into the cracks in the soil. Over time the gypsum crystalized into this 1+ inch thick vein. There are also some vertical veins connected to the horizontal one.

Gypsum3.jpg

Gypsum4.jpg

Gypsum5.jpg

Gypsum1.jpg

Gypsum2.jpg

Maestro Brewsmith said:
So, nobody finds geology interesting? ;)
Now if you had said that you mined a 5gallon pail of it for brewing, then brewed your best beer ever with it, then gave it an awsesome name and then wrote a song about it...
we'd be talking.

:D

Actually, that is pretty cool. Geology is a large part of what I do at work and it has always interested me. The only problem with geology is dealing with geologists!

Chairman Cheyco said:
Now if you had said that you mined a 5gallon pail of it for brewing, then brewed your best beer ever with it, then gave it an awsesome name and then wrote a song about it...
we'd be talking.

:D

Actually, that is pretty cool. Geology is a large part of what I do at work and it has always interested me. The only problem with geology is dealing with geologists!
What's funny is I'm always getting asked at different job sites if I'm an engineer or a geologist. I have to say "No, I have a degree in music!" And I don't think I'll be using the stuff for brewing any time soon, unless I want to call the brew Light Brown, Very Moist, Sandy Clay with fragments of siltstone Pale Ale! :D

Latest posts

Back