50/50 Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs3902

Reaction score
I am going to brew a rye ale this weekend, kind of like a smash, but not a smash (although I hope to learn the same things.
50% rye malt (and lots of rice hulls)
50% 2 row
Hopped with Simcoe. What do you think?

I am going to brew a rye ale this weekend, kind of like a smash, but not a smash (although I hope to learn the same things.
50% rye malt (and lots of rice hulls)
50% 2 row
Hopped with Simcoe. What do you think?

Well, about a year ago I would have said "YUCK!" But last May, whatsleftofyou (from this forum) poured me a beer that was about that much rye.

It was still pretty bad, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

I love rye beers, but about 25% rye is my max.

I brewed a rye ale with 30% rye recently, and I was thrilled with how it turned out! That brew had some other malts in it too though, not just the 2 row. This is definitely an experiment, I originally said I was going to do 100% rye, but I'd like to actually be able to drink my experiment!! Haha.

Certainly seems to be a personal preference thing. I'm drinking an all base malt beer with 25% rye (17% malt/8% flaked), 21% wheat, and the rest 2-row. That's about as much rye as I would want in that style. On some of my other beers with 25% rye but containing crystal, +/- munich or other malts I wished I had gone higher. Please report back after you brew!

I really liked that beer, but to each their own. I just tapped an American Rye Ale that's 45% rye malt and it's delicious.

Maybe a little off topic here, but mind sharing the recipe? Either of you use flaked in your recipes? I started mixing in about 1/3 of the total rye as flaked as I heard it was a more intense taste, it does seem like it may be though I'm not sure if it's really true or just the power of suggestion.

I love Rye. I use it often in place of wheat, just for a different character. I pretty often do 40% Rye 60% 2-Row. I have done up to 50/50 also. They are all good IMO.

works well to thicken low gravity beers. I did a 50/50 rye, maris otter with OG 1.024 with galaxy hops. was a little low on body for me though. I predict that 50/50 rye, pale malt at 1.030 OG would have the body of 100% pale malt at 1.045 OG. I have this planned for a future batch. Also rye gives a nice spicy flavour, a bit like what you get from saaz, minus the bitterness.

Back