Juicing fruit vs bag/boil/crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptRoyal

Reaction score
New to wine making. Got most of my hardware from Father-in-Law.

I have a couple of unfinished works on the go. No real success to report yet. I might say though that the batch we just bottled isn't bad for being young.

On a whim, noting a huge amount of crabapples on a few trees and some sort of small pie type apples on another, I decided to continue my march foreword into vintner hood.

A lot of posts I have seen since mention chopping, crushing, bagging and boiling this mash.

I juiced everything with my Brevill juicer. I toyed with the idea of pulling the stems, but that would take me into next week. That said, this also means the seeds got banged up/ cut in the process too.

Question: do you think this will result in a sour mix? or will the 20 pounds of sugar I added offset this?

Note: aprox 40 pounds of fruit, 1 liter of grape concentrate, topped to about 5 gallons.

Edit: all solids, minus foam ended up in the trash. I have skimmed as much of the remaining foam from the surface as I can during the first 24 hour rest period prior to adding the yeast. Initial SG 1.126

I just ran about 20lbs of grapes through a juicer this past june. Took a sample of the wine this past week when I went to rack and it turned out great. I figure if you don't have seed solids you should be fine.

Be aware though that apple seeds are toxic in larger quantities.

Fermenting the whole fruit with pulp vs fermenting just the juice changes the wine. There is more flavor and body when you use the whole fruit.

Just like when people use wine grapes, they use the skins for red wines for color, flavor, and tannins.

It will still make wine with just the juice (like you do for many white wines), but not the same full rich flavor and body.

Thanks.

Still have a lot of apples out there, looks like I will have to try another batch and compare side by side. Cost is only sugar and another vile of one of the compounds, maybe $7 total.

ptRoyal said:
Thanks.

Still have a lot of apples out there, looks like I will have to try another batch and compare side by side. Cost is only sugar and another vile of one of the compounds, maybe $7 total.

I am filled with envy.

ptRoyal said:
Edit: all solids, minus foam ended up in the trash. I have skimmed as much of the remaining foam from the surface as I can during the first 24 hour rest period prior to adding the yeast. Initial SG 1.126

All solids from 40 lbs of fruit? As a preachy environmentalist, it is my duty to recommend you get yourself a compost heap.

Back