Does sugar affect gravity reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nike_Eayrs

Reaction score
Does adding sugar affect a hydrometer reading? I was trying to lighten up a partial mash recipe. I subbed some sugar for malt extract and the numbers were a bit low. Cheers!

Yes, sugar does change the gravity. Distilled water = 1.000 add sugar and that number will rise.

The difference between DME and sugar will depend on the types of DME, Sugar and amounts.

The main effect of subbing sugar for the DME would be to get a thinner, dryer beer.

Gravity numbers being lower could be the results of a number of different factors.

since the reason you take hydrometer readings is to see how much sugar the yeast has consumed, I'd say defiantly yes.

You should find that your FG will be lower than expected as well. How much sugar are you talking about?

I used 1lb of sugar, mashed out 6lbs of grain and 2lbs of dry malt extract for a 5 gallon batch. It's also the first time that I mashed out that much grain. I was just curious if sugar affected the reading the same way DME or mashed out grain did. Original gravity was 1.041, I figured it should have been around 1.050.

I used 1lb of sugar, mashed out 6lbs of grain and 2lbs of dry malt extract for a 5 gallon batch. It's also the first time that I mashed out that much grain. I was just curious if sugar affected the reading the same way DME or mashed out grain did. Original gravity was 1.041, I figured it should have been around 1.050.

did you happen to do a partial boil and take the reading after topping off? wort and water are difficult to mix well enough to get an accurate reading. if not, then you got very poor efficiency (~32%). what was your mash temp, time, and amount of water? was the grain bag tight?

did you happen to do a partial boil and take the reading after topping off? wort and water are difficult to mix well enough to get an accurate reading. if not, then you got very poor efficiency (~32%). what was your mash temp, time, and amount of water? was the grain bag tight?

I used a paint strainer bag to mash the grain. I mashed with 1 1/2 gallons of water at 122 for 20 min, 152-160 for 60, and mashed out at 170 for 10 min. I then rinsed the grain with 2 1/2 gallons of water over a fermenting bucket. I boiled that for an hour, and added dme and sugar 15 before flame out. It was then topped off with water to get to 5 gallons. I have purchased a steel 7 1/2 gallon pot and a propane burner for the next batch. Do you think that is the reason for the reading? Could it be higher or lower than the reading I got? Cheers!

I used a paint strainer bag to mash the grain. I mashed with 1 1/2 gallons of water at 122 for 20 min, 152-160 for 60, and mashed out at 170 for 10 min. I then rinsed the grain with 2 1/2 gallons of water over a fermenting bucket. I boiled that for an hour, and added dme and sugar 15 before flame out. It was then topped off with water to get to 5 gallons. I have purchased a steel 7 1/2 gallon pot and a propane burner for the next batch. Do you think that is the reason for the reading? Could it be higher or lower than the reading I got? Cheers!

Make your life easier. Not only is there almost never a need for a 122 rest, it could be detrimental to the head and body of your beer.

It's common to get incorrect OG readings when you top off. Even if you think you have it well mixed, the wort is heavier and will sink to the bottom, meaning you'll be taking a reading from the watered down wort on top.

Bah!!! I meant LME. Yeah Sugar is 46ppg and DME is 42ppg. pretty negligible. I need to stop responding from my cell phone...

Make your life easier. Not only is there almost never a need for a 122 rest, it could be detrimental to the head and body of your beer.

It's common to get incorrect OG readings when you top off. Even if you think you have it well mixed, the wort is heavier and will sink to the bottom, meaning you'll be taking a reading from the watered down wort on top.

Thanks! It was a witbeer recipe, and I was just following the directions. I'm always up for advice that cuts down the mash time! I'm relieved to hear that the starting gravity may be a little higher than the reading I got. Keep your ears open....next batch is all grain and a full boil. I'm sure I'll be full of questions after that! HAHA!

I'll throw my vote in for your gravity reading being due to topping off. It definitely isn't due to the sugar.

I had this problem a couple of times and was somewhat worried. I tested a batch both before and after topping off with what I considered to be thorough mixing. The after topping off reading was still way low.

This time, RDWHAHB. It sounds like your next batch will be easier with an increased boil capacity. If you need to top off in the future, try taking the gravity reading first and correct for the added water volume.

Back