Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulster2626 said:
Printing? I do it at work on the laser colour machine, and cut 'em out and use milk to stick them on. I kinda like the no-gloss finish, and think it gives the bottles that "homebrew" feel, ya know?

Will you share your milk technique?

Will you share your milk technique?

You just take a little bit of milk and put it in a mug or cup or something. Then I take a BBQ basting brush and put milk on the back of the label. Make sure you get all the edges, then stick-on and smooth out the edges. Wipe the excess away if you want, but I don't bother. Some find this tedious, but I find it relaxing like bottling. Get a couple beers, some good tunes, and hide in the basement for a while by myself. :rockin:

It's quick if you get one of those speed-cutter things where you just line up the paper and slide the blade back and forth.

I don't know why, but the milk thing didn't really work for me. I ended up just using a glue stick...

Heck, if you are willing to hassle with it, even powerpoint will work for this, it just isn't quite as easy to work through.

Here are the latest creations from VanPort Brewing in Portland, OR. Viking Strong Ale label to come soon. Stay tuned.

beerbottlelabels1.jpg

vanportvsb.jpg

vanportkong.jpg

vanportblacksabbathipa.jpg

While I'm by no means a professional, I've learned a lot just from using online photoshop tutorials. What'll happen is I'll think something will look cool with a certain effect, so I'll just type in "how to [effect] photoshop" and learn it. There is a TON of photoshop tutorial stuff on the web.

SO just keep messing around with it - you could even start by just outright copying someone, and while you're doing it all you'll probably start to go down your own path.

Printing? I do it at work on the laser colour machine, and cut 'em out and use milk to stick them on. I kinda like the no-gloss finish, and think it gives the bottles that "homebrew" feel, ya know?

I'm good with photoshop, it was the labeling process itself (printing) that I was curious about. I will have to get some laser prints made

This one is for a batch of dubbel that I'm pretty sure fermented too warm, and will as such be a bit off-tasting for a while:
dubbel.jpg

In the process of fermenting an apple cider and an apple/cherry blend cider. Always wanted to hop on the pin-up boat, so...

labels_cherrypopper.jpg

and

labels_applebottom.jpg

:mug:

I'm lovin those pinups, especially the apple bottom! It seems to me that while the classic pinups weren't actually made for beer labels, the could have been & should have been; they go together like bread & butter, kids & dogs, malt & hops!
Regards, GF.

Latest for my house pale ale:

6245135244_3bc080b5ca_z.jpg

I like it. I love images like that. That old handwritten, hand drawn type stuff. I find da vinci's sketches far more interesting than his actual paintings. This reminds me of that in a way.

A minor suggestion, not sure if you want to hear it. I think the beer information blends in too much with the background. May not be a bad idea to use that brown color as a background in the lower 1/4 of the label and make the text a really light color, like the color of the parchment. It will create a bit more contrast and help it pop a bit more.

Just my thoughts. I love it either way. Nice Job! :mug:

I like it. I love images like that. That old handwritten, hand drawn type stuff. I find da vinci's sketches far more interesting than his actual paintings. This reminds me of that in a way.

A minor suggestion, not sure if you want to hear it. I think the beer information blends in too much with the background. May not be a bad idea to use that brown color as a background in the lower 1/4 of the label and make the text a really light color, like the color of the parchment. It will create a bit more contrast and help it pop a bit more.

Just my thoughts. I love it either way. Nice Job! :mug:

Yeah, I had put some blank space around the beer info, but I like your idea a lot! Thanks for the comment!

In the process of fermenting an apple cider and an apple/cherry blend cider. Always wanted to hop on the pin-up boat, so...

labels_cherrypopper.jpg

and

labels_applebottom.jpg

All I can say is DOPE!

Those labels are the tits, I love the pinup concept, always have, but your labels stand out among them, great job!

web.jpg

my first home brew

You know what? I don't know what I like better, the photo or the beer label!

"Sweet photo!" is what came to my eye first, but your label is quite nice too. However, the beer looks so appetizing which draws away form the label and the picture(the focus I suppose?).

It is pure genius, like a Mobius strip. It is infinite with a twist.

Great job, on the photo especially. Nice label, and delicious looking beer.

Schnitzengiggle said:
All I can say is DOPE!

Those labels are the tits, I love the pinup concept, always have, but your labels stand out among them, great job!

Thanks! Again, someone else painted the dames, I just arranged them.

Schnitzengiggle said:
You know what? I don't know what I like better, the photo or the beer label!

"Sweet photo!" is what came to my eye first, but your label is quite nice too. However, the beer looks so appetizing which draws away form the label and the picture(the focus I suppose?).

It is pure genius, like a Mobius strip. It is infinite with a twist.

Great job, on the photo especially. Nice label, and delicious looking beer.

The whole package is nice... My first beer was NOT that clear or delicious looking. Great work!

Thanks. My brother created the label as a suppress for me. He is working on a label for my second beer (first all grain). I'll post it up when it's done.

Just started out with making own labels using the Beer Labelizer website. This one was a special request beer --- Mango IPA

Artwork was done by a good friend of ours -- he whipped up the drawing on a whim!

SirenBeerLabel.jpg

I just brewed a Wit last week and here is the new label for it including the family pet....Biscuit.

168ub7r.jpg

I just viewed every single page of this thread. I read as much as I could. There are some really great labels and imaginations here. Do you all use a special type of label paper?

I just viewed every single page of this thread. I read as much as I could. There are some really great labels and imaginations here. Do you all use a special type of label paper?

I have found that Color Laser paper works for me. It is water resistant and colors don't run. I just go to an office supply store like Staples and print the labels on the laser color printer with some good quality paper. Glue stick them on.

Thanks for the info. From the looks of your label a couple of posts above, you are getting a really nice 3-D effect too.

We started out using basic labels you can get from most anywhere, then we just print and stick. We have tried out the neck labels. But they do need to be the type that are curved to line up properly. However, if you are going to be consuming the beers alot by yourself, there isn't alot of need for full labels. But we still needed to identify the different types. At the moment, we have 4 or 5 different beer types in storage.

We found that for personal use and identification purposes, we got the 3/4" dia. all-purpose circular labels. Once you line them up properly on the printer, its a fairly simple process (make sure you have a template once you line it up and keep that as reference). We added a simple graphic to identify the type, like an apple for the apple cider. We included the name and the ABV. Then you just stick them on the cap. So you can identify the beer, but not waste alot of money on labels if you are just consuming them yourself.

Back