The French Military??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
While browsing one of my favorite cigar forums, I came across this interesting post.

GO TO GOOGLE

Type in: French Military Victories

Hit: I'm Feeling Lucky

Try it out!

And here is some info about france's latest anti-tank weapon

[ame="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9731d_4407"]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9731d_4407[/ame]

well it's funny, but it's not really google's website. hit search instead and it'll become obvious.

Now that's funny! I once bought a WWII French army rifle on eBay. The description said "never fired dropped only once!" :D

Here is a great story about the French attempt to build an aircraft carrier. The deck can't accommodate the aircraft that they want to use on it. The reactors are irradiating the crew, a prop fell off during sea trials and it had to be towed back to port (by the U.S.!). Too funny!

The new French nuclear carrier "Charles de Gaulle" has suffered from a seemingly endless string of problems since it was first conceived in 1986. The 40,000 ton ship has cost over four billion dollars so far and is slower than the steam powered carrier it replaced. Flaws in the "de Gaulle" have led it to using the propellers from it predecessor, the "Foch," because the ones built for "de Gaulle" never worked right and the propeller manufacturer went out of business in 1999. Worse, the nuclear reactor installation was done poorly, exposing the engine crew to five times the allowable annual dose of radiation. There were also problems with the design of the deck, making it impossible to operate the E-2 radar aircraft that are essential to defending the ship and controlling offensive operations. Many other key components of the ship did not work correctly, including several key electronic systems. The carrier has been under constant repair and modification. The "de Gaulle" took eleven years to build (1988-99) and was not ready for service until late 2000. It's been downhill ever since. The de Gaulle is undergoing still more repairs and modifications. The government is being sued for exposing crew members to dangerous levels of radiation.

The cause of the problems can be traced to the decision to install nuclear reactors designed for French submarines, instead of spending more money and designing reactors specifically for the carrier. Construction started and stopped several times because to cuts to the defense budget and when construction did resume, there was enormous pressure on the builders to get on with it quickly, and cheaply, before the project was killed. The result was a carrier with a lot of expensive problems.

So the plan is to buy into the new British carrier building program and keep the "de Gaulle" in port and out of trouble as much as possible. The British have a lot more experience building carriers, and if there are any problems with the British designed ship, the French can blame the British.

There is nothing like generalizations to replace any sort of research or fact. I would imagine that the French performed rather well during the occupation of Germany in the 2nd Wrold War.

I don't know too much about the regular army, but if you ever get a chance, check out a documentary about the Foreign Legion. They are hardcore.

Blender said:
There is nothing like generalizations to replace any sort of research or fact. I would imagine that the French performed rather well during the occupation of Germany in the 2nd Wrold War.

Except for what I wrote about the French army rifle from ebay, which was a joke, the rest was found 'researching' the French military.

As far as how well the French army performed during WWII, France declaired war on Germany some time soon after several other countries did on Sept 3, 1939, after Germany invaded Poland on Sept 1, 1939. France formally surrendered to Germany on Jun 25, 1940! That was some defense of the homeland! 9 months and Hitler was swinging from the Eiffel Tower!

The French have not been a real military power, or our ally I might add, since the War of 1812.

Vermicous said:
I don't know too much about the regular army, but if you ever get a chance, check out a documentary about the Foreign Legion. They are hardcore.
Thats because up until fairly recently they werent actually French.

and here's more to pile on with . . .
A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included
admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French
Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a
large group of officers that included personnel from most of the
countries.

Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but
a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn
many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked:
"Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences
rather than speaking French?"

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied: "Maybe it's because
the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you
wouldn't have to speak German."

You could have heard a pin drop.

johnsma22 said:
Now that's funny! I once bought a WWII French army rifle on eBay. The description said "never fired dropped only once!" :D

Here is a great story about the French attempt to build an aircraft carrier. The deck can't accommodate the aircraft that they want to use on it. The reactors are irradiating the crew, a prop fell off during sea trials and it had to be towed back to port (by the U.S.!). Too funny!

The new French nuclear carrier "Charles de Gaulle" has suffered from a seemingly endless string of problems since it was first conceived in 1986. The 40,000 ton ship has cost over four billion dollars so far and is slower than the steam powered carrier it replaced. Flaws in the "de Gaulle" have led it to using the propellers from it predecessor, the "Foch," because the ones built for "de Gaulle" never worked right and the propeller manufacturer went out of business in 1999. Worse, the nuclear reactor installation was done poorly, exposing the engine crew to five times the allowable annual dose of radiation. There were also problems with the design of the deck, making it impossible to operate the E-2 radar aircraft that are essential to defending the ship and controlling offensive operations. Many other key components of the ship did not work correctly, including several key electronic systems. The carrier has been under constant repair and modification. The "de Gaulle" took eleven years to build (1988-99) and was not ready for service until late 2000. It's been downhill ever since. The de Gaulle is undergoing still more repairs and modifications. The government is being sued for exposing crew members to dangerous levels of radiation.

The cause of the problems can be traced to the decision to install nuclear reactors designed for French submarines, instead of spending more money and designing reactors specifically for the carrier. Construction started and stopped several times because to cuts to the defense budget and when construction did resume, there was enormous pressure on the builders to get on with it quickly, and cheaply, before the project was killed. The result was a carrier with a lot of expensive problems.

So the plan is to buy into the new British carrier building program and keep the "de Gaulle" in port and out of trouble as much as possible. The British have a lot more experience building carriers, and if there are any problems with the British designed ship, the French can blame the British.
British carriers are too small to be called carriers. You get some high seas and they have to launch in the through so by the time the airplane is at the end of the deck, the front of the ship is in the crest again.
Look for pictures of an HMS and a USS side by side.

Blender said:

Hmmm, I must have taken a different history class......I thought Germany occupied France in WWII, not the other way around.....

:D

All joking aside, while the French may not be known for their military prowess, you have to admit that the U.S. would not exist without French assistance in the Revolution. (But they're still pussies......:cross: )

good cookes though....

Used to work at a La Madeline (not the most authentic place but..) and quiches rock...

Plus Fischer's pretty good beer

I'd go to France somday...but I'd rather be in Germany!

Well, when it comes to Love and War, I'd rather be known as a good lover. Wanting to have a tough military is analogous to the "my dad can kick your dad's %#@" dispute.

desiderata said:
Well, when it comes to Love and War, I'd rather be known as a good lover. Wanting to have a tough military is analogous to the "my dad can kick your dad's %#@" dispute.

Unless my dad can kick your dad's ass and my dad has saved your dad's ass from the same neighbor twice. BTW it's hard to F*** when you got a gun in your back

Pumbaa said:
Unless my dad can kick your dad's ass and my dad has saved your dad's ass from the same neighbor twice. BTW it's hard to F*** when you got a gun in your back

What are you talking about!

Pumbaa said:
Thats because up until fairly recently they werent actually French.

and here's more to pile on with . . .

Oh man, I could not stop laughing from that!!!:mug: :mug:

found a picture of a US aircraft carrier in comparison to a British one
SHIP_CV-74_USS_Stennis_and_CV_HMS_Illustrious_lg.jpg

Remeber watching a documentary, think it was six one hour progs showing the training and life of new recruits in the french foreign legion.
They do a lot of training in the jungle at the Equatorial Jungle Training Center in French Guyana.
It has a notorious assault course, which the whole team has to finish, the record was something like 3 hours, the bunch of recruits i watched took something like 6 hours.
The slowest time ever for it was set by a bunch of US marines who took about 17 hrs iirc :D

z987k said:
found a picture of a US aircraft carrier in comparison to a British one
SHIP_CV-74_USS_Stennis_and_CV_HMS_Illustrious_lg.jpg

Maybe the British pilots are more skilled, and don't require 3 miles of runway. ;)

the_bird said:
Wow, just like the OP suggested!

No one reads the first post!

I was just reminding everyone, in case they forgot the original point. Shouldn't you be doing something productive with your day off?

Back