I'm in a little to deep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gators

Reaction score
After reading some more information from this site I feel like I may have screwed up my first attempts at cider. Everything I did was following some instructions I found somewhere else on the web. First I started with with four gallons of cider that was filtered by uv light or something, I just remember it didn't say pasturized on it. I warmed the cider up slightly and added two pounds of sugar. Took the three packets of yeast and added them to water, waited the time on the label and mixed the cider and yeats. I waited a week and racked it today. I tried some of the left over cider from racking and it tasted like sparkling cider (not bad). The original instructions said to wait to more weeks before it was done. I guess I'd just like to figure out if I should just toss this batch and start over.

whats the problem? you are doing fine so far. let it sit in the secondary vessel for a month or two (or more if needed to be clear.) then bottle. if its a dry cider with little or no residual sweetness you may need to age it to bring back some of the apple flavor. otherwise, you are on the right track.

Welcome to HBT!

The first rule around here is not to dump a batch unless it tastes like Satan's anus.

It doesn't really sound like you did anything too wrong with the exception of a couple of minor points. No need to heat the cider but no big deal. Yeast doesn't use the same calendar we use so it's best wait until it has finished its work before racking. You get this information from using a hydrometer. Cider can take many weeks to finish and reach final gravity. Most ciders finish really dry so I don't even consider them drinkable for 6 months or so.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna keeping going running with this. I want to start making beers but figured this cider was gonna be a first attempt at brewing.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't worry, you will have a "good" drinkable product. Like others have said, don't go by a calendar. This years batch, for me, came out to 1.000 by the hydrometer. About a week ago I racked to a secondary to clear, and it started "working" again. Just let yours sit about a month or so and you should be good.

Cider is really hard to mess up. If it tastes good then you have done well. Like the others said, just let it clear and enjoy it. You have about a million serving options with cider, so don't be deterred. You can always flavor it up to cover up a lack of flavor or even an objectionable flavor. Welcome to cider!

The first rule around here is not to dump a batch unless it tastes like Satan's anus.

++1 I had a malt bomb beer that I made (with all sorts of left overs of other beers) that was downright awful when I made it, but a year later is super awesome with a nice oaked quad flavor. never throw anything out, time will heal most problems :D

One packet of yeast will ferment 5-6 gallons easily, using 3 packets for four gallons is a waste of good yeast. Other than that, sounds like you're on the track to some tasty cider. Regards, GF.

I'm in a little too deep?

what-she-said-lg.gif

Use one pack next time, the yeast will multiply by themselves. You should be fine.

Back