Fermcap is the $#*%!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkeydude

Reaction score
Man is that Fermcap good or what?! I bought it after reading about it on this board. I had the easiest brew day on Sunday I have ever had!
I brewed 2 five gallon batches, had no boil overs and was able to do some other stuff around the garage during the boil.
I'm fermenting in two 6 gal BB's and there is only about 1/4-1/2" of Krausen in both. WOW! This stuff really works and the yeast is crankin'. If you haven't tried this stuff, you should.

i bought some right before getting my keggles, so i haven't needed it yet, i might try it on a batch just for ****s and giggles.

I plan to try fermcap soon. Being able to turn my back on a hard boil sounds like a definite advantage and no more fermenter blowoff is definitely another plus. Science marches on.

I just used Fermcap for the first time a few weeks ago too -- it was amazing.

No boil over on my starter in erlenmeyer or brew kettle and I didn't lose much to krausen in the blowoff either -- this stuff is worth every penny. I'd probably pay triple the price now that I know what it is capable of.

What is the recommended dosage for this stuff? I used some on my last brew and while it kept the boil pretty much in check, my fermenter almost blew. I think I added about 5 drops for a 3-gallon boil for a 5-gallon batch. My LHBS said to use a full dropper for each batch.

I just got mine delivered today. I plan on using it this weekend. AG with a turkey fryer can make for some easy boilovers. This should help until I get a keggle.

What is the recommended dosage for this stuff? I used some on my last brew and while it kept the boil pretty much in check, my fermenter almost blew. I think I added about 5 drops for a 3-gallon boil for a 5-gallon batch. My LHBS said to use a full dropper for each batch.

The way I understand is that it has to be used for every step. One dose does not cure all foam problems. I use ~5-10 drops in the boil, then about the same directly into the fermenter. So far, I've only needed 1 for starters.

I wait until I see my boil start to climb the pot and then add it a drop at a time until it falls, usually 2-3 drops does it. Then I add a couple drops into my fermenter when I dump in my wort. That's for a 5 gallon batch. Worked fine for me, though the highest gravity I've done so far is 1.070 and I haven't done a wheat beer or anything like that that tends to blow off more readily.

Fermcap is one of the best things ever invented. You will need to add fermcap to every step of the process as you lose almost all of it as it sticks to the surface of the equipment you are working with.
Its especially useful in starters so you dont have to worry about boilovers.

I add one dropperful to my full boils after I steep my grains. It definitely lasts all the way through the fermentation process no problem

Back