Pilsner with ale yeast....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Pilsner receipe that I can make with ale yeast and ferment at 68...Anyone got one? Thanks

I'm planning on brewing a double-D Pils ale this summer for my July 4th brew, and pitching a big starter of Wyeast American Ale II into it.

I haven't brewed this yet so usual disclaimers that it might suck ;) but here's what I'm brewing ...

8# German Pils (95%)
6 oz German Munich, 9L (5%)
3 oz Saaz 2.7% AA, 30'
2 oz Saaz 2.7% AA, 10'
1 oz Saaz DH

Mash in at 131*F, decoct to 147*F for beta rest, decoct to 158*F for alpha rest.

I like Saaz hops... a LOT... so I decided to go for the hop bursting for loads of Saaz flavor and aroma.

Simple Pils recipe:

OG:1.050, 6 gallons at the end of the boil
10.5lbs Germna Pilsner Malt
Mash 149F for 1 hour.

Boil 90 minutes.
German Hallertauer, 4%:
2.0oz at 60 minutes
0.5oz at 15 minutes
0.5oz at 0 minutes

So really, it is not going to be a Pils without lager yeast, but you can get close with an ale yeast (or call it a Blond is anyone cares that much). A couple options depending on you situation:
-Kolsch yeast, big starter, ferment in the low 60s
-WLP001 or Wyeast 1056, big starter, ferment at the lower end of the suggested range
-US-05, pitch 1 pack of rehydrated yeast, ferment low

I actually have kind of a Budvar Pilsner clone cold crashing right now. I don't have access to the recipe right now, but the ingredients were:
Light DME
Carapils/Dextrine
Saaz Hops
Wyeast American Ale yeast
I matched color, bitterness and ABV to Budvar in beersmith, shooting for the same kind of fresh hop aroma. Will probably taste more like an American pale ale, though. :)

How about beerrific receipe with 10.5 lbs german pilsner malt
Mash at 148 for I hour with Y-97...
What Arg. Cascade schedule would you suggest...I got them CHEAP! Thanks

They taste a lot like Saaz. Assuming 3.2 AA 2oz at 60 and .5 oz at 15.
hopville . "Fake Pils" Kölsch Recipe

Mash low (148-150) for 90 min, and boil for 90 min. Remember you will need an extra half gallon or so run off for the 90 min boil. You should get pretty good efficiency. Carb it on the high side. A pound of Munich and/or half pound carapils could be a nice touch.

I am mashing 148....I'm wondering what temp. for sparge water?

As far as hops...I'm trying to work with what I have...
As the closest HBS is 67 miles away and infested with roaches...

Thanks alot...You have been a great help....! :mug:
I fill the MLT to the top and batch sparge...
I then fly sparge until I get correct pre boil amount...

why not use a California Common yeast ??
like whitelabs WLP810 or wyeast XL2112

"This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics.
Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens and pilsners.
Attenuation: 65-70; Flocculation: High; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 58-65 "

or

"Particularly suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers. Retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65° F, (18° C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers.
Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 67-71%. (58-68° F, 14-20° C)
Attenuation: Low
Fermentation Temp: Lager or Ale
Flocculation: High"

its a great yeast i use it all the time for steam beer and marzens
but once in a pinch i used it for a mild brown too its versitile i think

Just trying to work with what I have...S-04...S-05...Y-97 and lots of WLP-100...
The closest brew store is 67 miles away and roach infested...
My carboys stay at 68-70 ...I run up to 8 so icing them all ain't working...
I cover them all with wet dark t shirts...

Just trying to work with what I have...S-04...S-05...Y-97 and lots of WLP-100...
The closest brew store is 67 miles away and roach infested...
My carboys stay at 68-70 ...I run up to 8 so icing them all ain't working...
I cover them all with wet dark t shirts...

I think S-05 is your best bet. If you can run it (treat it special?) colder it will be more Pils like, but at 68 it will still be a good beer.

I always go with Wyeast German Ale or Kolsch for my pseudo pils / kolsch and never went wrong.
Used Wyeast Cali lager before and turned out well, too

I think I made another big ale...
1.063 for 5 3/8 gal with 10 1/4 lbs of grain....
The beer thief was VERY tasty...!

Is there something I can sub for Vienna malt..?
I have lots of everything else...
That recipe sounds great....!

add a little more Munich and Cara pils. or some base malt. I think either would work. I am all for trying new things. You might just come up with something you like. I did what I called the kitchen sink, which was all the extra stuff I had laying around and it turned out pretty good.

Good Luck. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!! Brew on!!!

This is my Czech pils recipe. Sorry, it's in Metric.

Code:
Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: Pils or neutral ale yeast   
Batch Size (Gallons): 10 (40L)   
Original Gravity: 1.056 to 1.062 depending on efficency   
Final Gravity: 1.013   
IBU: 41.2   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60+   
Color: 3.6 SRM   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 or so   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): as long as you wish, should be lagered   

This beer kicks ass. My czech neighbor loves it.

For 40L (10ish gallons)

8.50 Kg Gambrinus Pils Malt
0.25 Kg Gambrinus Honey Malt

60 grams Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) 60+ min
60 grams Saaz (4.0% AA) last 15 min
60 grams Saaz (4.0% AA) last 5 min

Whirlfloc last 5 min (optional)

Pils yeast, or other lager yeast. Saflager 23 for dry lager yeast (works well).
Can also be made using clean, dry ale yeast. Nottingham, Mauribrew, etc.
If using ale yeast.. keep to lower end of yeast temp range.

I'm including my original step mash. Other wise single infusion at [B]149-151F[/B] with mashout

40c (104F) for 15 min (gum/debranching rest)
50c (122F) for 15 min (Protien rest)
60c (140F) for 30 min (Beta rest)
70c (158F) for 30 min (Alpha rest)
Mashout at 76c

I'll let you AG'rs figure out sparge water etc.

Could I use 04, 05 or Y-97 on this...?
I sure would like to see my effiency when I step mash..I have bever tried it....

Not sure how much it would effect the efficiency. This was a schedule I learned a few years back for traditional Czech pilsners. I mostly just do this recipe at 149-151F now to save time.

I'm not familiar with Y-97 (or do you mean K-97?) who makes it?

05 would probably be cleaner over 04. When you get a chance, pick up some Nottingham or Mauri.

I order my yeast by the 500 gram brick. Way cheaper. I just use a vacuum sealer to seal up the yeast.

EDIT: You could probably skip the protein rest. Just do the gum rest at 110-113F then ramp up to the beta rest.

I did a nice beer with Pilsner, Sterling Hops, and Nottingham. The recipe is in my drop down menu. It was one of the best beers I've ever made, and it was so simple.

Both K-97 and US-05 are very clean yeast. People say Nottingham is more estery but I've not noticed it.

I made ten gallons of pilsner, lagered half and used K-97 the other. I preferred the K-97 over the lager. Both were clean. The K-97 half just had a better and more complex flavor.

I did my Thirsty Summit half Nottingham and half US-05. The US-05 won hands down. The flavor was much more bright and vibrant. The Nottingham just seems muddy in a comparison. I was surprised. I didn't expect there to be much difference. I can't see myself using Nottingham in a pale or IPA again.

Just to chime in, I am brewing a "Ale Pils" next month, too:

10.0lbs Pils Malt
1.00lbs Flaked Wheat

1oz Saaz @ 60
1oz Saaz @ 5

US-05

Mash @ about 148*F

Going to try fermenting it on the cool side, around 60, to minimize the esters.

(I have virtually the same beer, but a lager, going into the keg this Saturday. Going to compare the two)

why not use a California Common yeast ??
like whitelabs WLP810 or wyeast XL2112

"This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics.
Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens and pilsners.
Attenuation: 65-70; Flocculation: High; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 58-65 "

or

"Particularly suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers. Retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65° F, (18° C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers.
Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 67-71%. (58-68° F, 14-20° C)
Attenuation: Low
Fermentation Temp: Lager or Ale
Flocculation: High"

its a great yeast i use it all the time for steam beer and marzens
but once in a pinch i used it for a mild brown too its versitile i think

Damn :mug: my post made me think about some Marzen, it just about time to get cracken for octoberfest, i just did 10 gal of steam beer i am going to use thoes yeast cakes to make some Oktoberfest beer and actually have the proper time to lager it. thanks for the insperation-reminder

My version of a Pilsner Ale (Alesner?) has been in secondary for a week. I've looked at the carboy from about 7 different angles, and it looks like its darker at the top. It was my first AG, I used 9lbs pils, 1 lbs Vienna, Saaz hops, US-05 yeast for a 5 gallon batch. Its golden all through, just looks darker at the top 3 inches. There is also a thin ring of sediment floating on the surface making a ring all around the beer. The ring goes around the whole batch and is about 1.5 inches inside the wall of the carboy.

Then, I don't know what to make of this, there is an identical ring floating in the beer about 2 inches under the top ring. Just floating there, perfecting around.

Is this common, does it mean anything?

Just to chime in, I am brewing a "Ale Pils" next month, too:

10.0lbs Pils Malt
1.00lbs Flaked Wheat

1oz Saaz @ 60
1oz Saaz @ 5

US-05

Mash @ about 148*F

Going to try fermenting it on the cool side, around 60, to minimize the esters.

(I have virtually the same beer, but a lager, going into the keg this Saturday. Going to compare the two)

How'd this turn out? Would you change anything?

I have two words for an answer to the OP...

Edwort's Kolsch

It's easy and very awesome in the same amount of time typical of ales. No lagering required. Probably the second best beer I've made in terms of general appeal. Everyone loves it.

That being said - make no mistake - a good pilsner with proper lager yeast, lagered appropriately is VERY tasty.

Latest posts

Back