Heated Mash Tun with Multi Rest Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceManBrew

Reaction score
Yeah, I have never done it before. Read alot, but still don't quite know what to do for my setup. Building a brand new, bad ass, All Grain setup, single tier with 3 old kegs. Has anyone applied direct heat with a SS Mesh hose to their mash? Finding a false bottom seems to be troubling, I don't want to scorch the grain, and with that sitting on the bottom I feel as though it might not work to well with stirring. Anybody got tips, ideas, proven solutions?:drunk:

I haven't, while this would keep the upper layer of mash warm.. what about heat losses on the sides / bottom? I want to stay away from 'wrapping' it... But I guess I might have to break down...:confused:

I always throw my big old unused bed comforter over the 15 gallon stainless mash tun I have and go upstairs and sit down for a while. If the temp drops a few degrees, so what? I will be doing a second and third runnings shortly. Or do a decoction mash setup, you are the three keggle guy now go for it. Or heat a part of your mash in your 5 gallon kettle for ease of adding back to the big one. Lifting those kegs with hot stuff can be hazardous...

Back