Help removing pressure regulator nut!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasky99

Reaction score
So due to the different types of threads used in Japan VS the united states I was forced to buy a new nut for my pressure regulator. I have been trying for the last two hours to try and remove the co2 inlet on the pressure regulator. So far all I have managed to do is nearly round out end of the stem with a wrench and it has nut budged at all. The gasket at the end is now slightly cracked and I am so pissed off I am about to smash the thing with a hammer. Yes I understand that it is a left hand loose thread so no I have not been sitting here tightening it. Can anyone give me any suggestions/help with this? I am pretty sure all I have managed to do it turn my regulator into a doorstop.

Here is a picture of my (now mangled) stem.

image-1995199799.jpg

image-2469413178.jpg

image-2131368386.jpg

Try using a pipe wrench. Pipe wrenches are designed so that the harder you turn, the better bite they get. Also, although a lot of them use left hand threads, not all do, so try to double check the direction if you can see any threads on it.

Try using a pipe wrench. Pipe wrenches are designed so that the harder you turn, the better bite they get. Also, although a lot of them use left hand threads, not all do, so try to double check the direction if you can see any threads on it.

Ok. I will have to pick one up tomorrow. Should I continue to torque on the already rounded end piece or should I wrap a cloth or something around the center of the stem and torque directly from there?

Yes I understand that it is a left hand loose thread so no I have not been sitting here tightening it.

It looks like a taprite reg, which would be left hand threaded on the high pressure side, which is what I think you meant by "left hand loose". Just to be clear though, you're trying to turn it clockwise when looking at it like this, right? Hard to tell from the pics, but it kinda looks from the way it's rounding like you might be trying to turn it counter-clockwise. If it is indeed LHT, you need to turn it clockwise to loosen it.

104442d1362140468-help-removing-pressure-regulator-nut-image-1995199799.jpg

It looks like a taprite reg, which would be left hand threaded on the high pressure side, which is what I think you meant by "left hand loose". Just to be clear though, you're trying to turn it clockwise when looking at it like this, right? Hard to tell from the pics, but it kinda looks from the way it's rounding like you might be trying to turn it counter-clockwise. If it is indeed LHT, you need to turn it clockwise to loosen it.

104442d1362140468-help-removing-pressure-regulator-nut-image-1995199799.jpg

Nope, I have been turning it clockwise. It is a taprite and it is indeed left hand threaded.

Nope, I have been turning it clockwise. It is a taprite and it is indeed left hand threaded.

Just wanted to make sure. You never know, and the points looked a little more rounded on the CCW edges from the pic.

If it were me I'd put the pipe wrench on the end, where you've been trying. They usually use some thread sealant that also acts kinda like loctight, so it might take some leverage to break free.

You need to put the regulator in a vice so you can really put some pressure on it when turning. You should be using the proper size 6pt socket on the end NOT a wrench. If you bring it to an auto shop they can blast it off with a big impact gun.

I would put the pipe wrench as close to the regulator as you can. You might scratch the pipe a little bit, but you won't be deforming the mating surface, and possibly losing your gas seal.

I ended up taking it to the on post auto shop and renting the tools and vice to do it myself. The pipe wrench was the winner. It scarred the metal some, but it seems to be holding up just fine with no leaks. I wish I was in the states and just had access to my own stuff, but this is the next best thing.

Back