How long on fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybjr

Reaction score
Racked my 5 gallon batch onto 10 lbs of blackberries. How long should I let it sit on the fruit?

I find 7-10 days is plenty in secondary. Make sure you freeze/thaw/crush blackberries for best flavor extraction. I always sorbate/sulfate before though, not sure which way you doing. I've done blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, clementine that way, works good

10 lbs in secondary. Was at 1.000 when I racked onto the fruit. Racked off the fruit today at .998. It is a beautiful black/purple color. The long wait starts now.

image-3151844663.jpg

Great so far. The Flavors are starting to come through. It still has a long way to go. Thanks for asking.

I have done 3 5-6 gallon batches with blueberries. Each time I used 2, 3 pound bags of frozen blueberries from costco. I pureed the blueberries then ran it through a metal screened siv a couple of times and then put the resulting juice in the secondary. It always turns out great but I have found that if you add 1 cup of lemon juice in the secondary the resulting blueberry will be more flavorful and a more "Bright" blueberry flavor. No Idea why but for more blueberry punch use some lemon juice. It will turn out great either way but I feel that the lemon really makes a big difference, blueberry flavor-wise.

Matrix

Back