Strong Stout Braggot recipe. Input appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout-n-Braggot

Reaction score
I've made a few interesting brews, but this next one i'm planning might be the most extreme yet, any critiques on my tentative recipe would be greatly appreciated.

This is for a 6 gallon batch intended to be aged for several months on oak staves that were used to age the "Mine Chocolate" dessert wine from Gouger Cellars (Port style dessert wine with nice coffee/chocolate notes).

Fermentables (Step infusion mash with beta glucanase rest)
12 lbs honey (~9 lbs to be heavily carmelized) (add in boil)
4 lbs light DME (add in boil)
6 lbs 6-row pale
3 lbs lightly toasted rolled oats
1 lb Roasted barley
3/4 lb Crystal 90l
3/4 lb Chocolate malt
1/2 lb Crystal 120l
1/4 lb molasses

Hops
3 oz Chinook 60 minutes
2 oz Chinook 45 minutes
1 oz Cascade 10 minutes
1 oz Cascade flameout

OG estimate 1.154
FG estimate 1.031
Estimated ABV ~16% :rockin::drunk::tank:
IBU estimate ~73

This will probably be consumed in quantities not greater than 8oz at a time...

thoughts...?

Hops are way too much for a stout/braggot. I get about 180 IBUS just from the 60 min addition putting it in beer smith.

I don't mean to piss on your parade but have you done a 1.150 OG beer before? There's this whole art to doing anything over about 1.075, it works quite differently than doing a normal beer.

I've done a spiced Braggot before with an OG of around 1.140, so this one is really just upping the ante a bit gravity wise.

I appreciate the tip, but 180 IBUs is literally impossible, the human tongue is only capable of detecting 100 IBUs. Considering the high gravity, the hop utilization will be quite low, hence my very high hop rate for the style, although I am considering removing the second addition.
I am a fan of very bitter and highly hopped stouts, they are a nice break from the standard, and I also want the hops to stand up to the extended ageing I will be putting this through.

I have a batch going that is very close to this recipe, it will be ready to drink in about a year, it REEEAAAAALLLLYYY needs to mellow itself out, but the oaking and some time ought to take care of that.

I took the late hops out of the recipe because they would be lost in the ageing, but currently the general balance is pretty good, about right for an imperial stout, maybe just a slight bit more harsh in the bitterness due to the heavy carmelization of the honey, but that will subside with time, the oats give great body and mouthfeel, enough to counteract the drying effect of the super-fermentable honey, its just too young yet.

I've made a few interesting brews, but this next one i'm planning might be the most extreme yet, any critiques on my tentative recipe would be greatly appreciated.

This is for a 6 gallon batch intended to be aged for several months on oak staves that were used to age the "Mine Chocolate" dessert wine from Gouger Cellars (Port style dessert wine with nice coffee/chocolate notes).

Fermentables (Step infusion mash with beta glucanase rest)
12 lbs honey (~9 lbs to be heavily carmelized) (add in boil)
4 lbs light DME (add in boil)
6 lbs 6-row pale
3 lbs lightly toasted rolled oats
1 lb Roasted barley
3/4 lb Crystal 90l
3/4 lb Chocolate malt
1/2 lb Crystal 120l
1/4 lb molasses

Hops
3 oz Chinook 60 minutes
2 oz Chinook 45 minutes
1 oz Cascade 10 minutes
1 oz Cascade flameout

OG estimate 1.154
FG estimate 1.031
Estimated ABV ~16% :rockin::drunk::tank:
IBU estimate ~73

This will probably be consumed in quantities not greater than 8oz at a time...

thoughts...?

My only thought is i love Chinook but i wouldn't use it for this, i would use something like East Kent Golding or Fuggles Or even Centennial . Also i wouldn't caramelize that much honey, it will lead to excess non-fermentables in the form of carbon. Also I would Go 8-8 honey and Malt extract.

Reading this my one advice would've been to mash really high since the honey is so fermentable to ensure you get some body out of it. I love the idea as ivedine an IPA braggot before, but not at a high gravity. Based on my experience, I would've done the honey in steps, simply to not work the yeast so hard. Even beers like dogfish world wide is slowly dosed with sugar to get it up to the abv. I could imagine brewing a stout that finished relatively high to keep some body, than dosing with a lb every day or 2 with honey build it up. The honey would boost the abv and dry it out to achieve the balance I wanted.

Also, why add molasses? I get the flavor profile, but with all of that honey you already have enough simple sugar.

How did this turn out? I came in here expecting to have to alter the recipe for my totally bitchin' idea of caramelising the honey, but you beat me to it! I'm wanting to make this for my birthday in August, which will be in winter here.

Can't, i'm actually out of the country for several months, but I have several full carboys of various recipes eagerly awaiting my return!

I'm currently lamenting the sparseness of quality beer in this part of the world, but at least I have some of the best wine nearby, and some great mead and cidre on occasion.

Latest posts

Back