Ivanhoe and Bravo Hop Varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made an order for some hops, including two varieties that are new to me - Ivanhoe and Bravo. I bought these from Seven Bridges (www.breworganic.com). I'm interested if anyone here has more info on these varieties or experience brewing with them?

Here is info from the website:

California Ivanhoe Organic Whole Hops

8% AAU. 4.6% Beta. The original California Cluster variety has been rejuvenated for the first time in more than a half century. Similar in profile to a Cascade with a moderate alpha in the 8% range, it has a nice aroma with mellow hints of citrus and pine and the strong floral/herbal notes typical of English aroma hops. The exact origins of the Ivanhoe hop are unknown but the original California Cluster hop parent was a cross between English and American varieties. Great for American style ales, California Common, stouts, and IPA's. Try in recipes that call for: Galena, Cluster, Northern Brewer.

American Bravo Organic Whole Hops

2010 Crop. 13.5% Ave. Alpha Acid. This is a new breed of American hops, which are rapidly becoming a favored bittering hop. Ours are organically grown in the state of Idaho. Bravo hops are descended from Zeus and Nugget. They have a very clean and smooth bitterness and highly pleasant aroma. Aromas of light fruit (apple and pear) with a flowery note dominate. Very light hint of tangerine and apricot, and slight earthy background. Exhibiting bittering qualities similar to Chinook, Bravo is a great hop for stouts, IPA's, and other big beers. Because this hop has such a pleasant aroma it is a great candidate for a single hop beer. The quality of these hops is proof beyond a doubt that American hop growers can produce a superior quality hop using certified organic methods.

The first beer I'm planning on using these hop varieties in is an IPA. Here's the recipe (as with many recipes, it borrows heavily from other people's recipes - if you recognize your recipe in here, thanks! ;) )

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00

11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 68.75 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 18.75 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 6.25 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 6.25 %
0.75 oz Bravo [13.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.50 oz Ivanhoe [8.00 %] (45 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [6.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.50 oz Ivanhoe [8.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [6.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Dry Hop with 0.5 oz of Ivanhoe, 0.5 oz of Cascade, 0.5. oz of Centennial for seven days.

Est Original Gravity: 1.073 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.53 %
Bitterness: 50.2 IBU
Est Color: 13.5 SRM Color: Color

Never used either of them but whoever wrote that blurb for the Bravo variety makes me want to buy some now!

I've used Bravo in a rip-off of Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer (same grain bill, Bravo hops only) and a SMaSH Maris Otter/Bravo IPA. The FYB tastes fantastic, but I'm still waiting on the IPA. I'll get back to you with tasting notes.

I just used Bravo in a Bravo/Rakau IPA. They smell amazing, and the hydrometer sample from the secondary before it went into the keg tasted awesome, a lot like Shorts Humalupalicious. Still carbonating, so I can't say anything about the final product yet.

Tasted this last night. It's psychedelically hoppy and delicious. I thought 92 IBUs in 1.070 OG wort might be more than overkill, but it turns out that Bravo is a great clean bittering hop. I don't think I'm tasting anything from the Rakau, it's kind of lost in the Bravo awesomeness. (Also sat around in my freezer a little longer than ideal.) I'm happy to report that Bravo is a killer IPA hop.

I know a little late, but I have used both hops and got them from Seven Bridges as well... I used the Ivanhoe in a Hibiscus Light Ale, so although there were a lot of things going on and I used other hops, it still turned out great. I gave my buddy the rest of it to use in a beer that he couldn't get the hops locally as a substitute (can't remember what we were sub'ing, but probably one in the list) and he really liked the character that it lent to the beer.

In regards to the Bravo, I have used it as well in combination with some of their Organic American Palisades in a Green Tea Blonde and feel that it lent a lot of the fruity notes that I was looking for from it. I also used it as a single hop in an all organic pale ale that I just did and I also have some dryhopping in it right now. I definitely get the fruit notes in this beer and the apple and pear is really present and it has a nice clean, moderate bitterness. After sampling again this weekend, I was torn about adding more hops to the secondary. I think the reason is that this is such a clean hop and I expected a litte more punch from it in the nose, whereas I am getting faint hints of apple and floral notes. So, based on my usage, I think if you want a good hop nose with more earthy or grassy notes, then combine Bravo with something else. Otherwise, for its flavor and bittering profile, I think it is a great hop.

Did you brew the IPA and how did it turn out Pappers?

. . . Did you brew the IPA and how did it turn out Pappers?

Yes, we've just started drinking it and its really lovely. The hops are fresh and pop out at you. In addition to the Bravo and Ivanhoe, we used organic Centennial and Cascade. Its not a hop-bomb, around 60 IBU, and is well-balanced with a good malt backbone. It has an appealing freshness and brightness.

I found the Ivanhoe's weren't in great condition, overdryed perhaps, but I do like their aroma in my hands. The Bravos were superb.

I haven't taken a photo of it in the glass yet, but put up the recipe and other info at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Short-Nights-IPA.html

It sounds really good with that combination and it doesn't hurt that I'm a fan of Centennial... I didn't notice that about the Ivanhoe, but honestly didn't check them out much other than a few sniffs before throwing them into the kettle.

I like your site and the concept and it looks like you like doing a lot of organic beers, which I'd like to do more, but due to local availability, don't. Where do you get most of your organic malt? I've been getting some from Northern Brewer and some from Seven Bridges, but am only partial mash.

I'm always into trying other organic beers, so if you ever want to do a trade, then let me know! (I only have 1 all organic beer as noted above, but use some organic when possible.)

For me, living in the Midwest, the shipping from Seven Bridges would kill me for most malts. I buy my base malts (2-row, pilsner, munich, and wheat) in bulk, both Gambrinus and Breiss make a variety of organic malts. I can buy them by the 55 lb bag at my local homebrew store or go in on a buy at Mid Country Malts, which has a local warehouse here.

I just split some bags of organic 20L and 60L caramel malts with other members of a local homebrew club, which saved me about 50%, plus its to have some on hand. Other specialty malts I just buy as needed.

I haven't solved the issue of the cost of organic hops yet. Sometimes 7 Bridges runs a sale. I'm growing cascades and willamettes. And will be trying to buy directly from three organic hop farmers this fall, see if that helps.

That's good to know and nice that you have options; I guess I'll have to discuss with my LHBS when I go to all-grain and see if he can order some for me... Yes, the hops do get expensive and I know once I start brewing bigger batches and more consistent recipes, that will become more of an issue. What type of requirements minimum order-wise do the hop farmers have?

keesimps said:
What type of requirements minimum order-wise do the hop farmers have?

I don't know. When the harvest comes in, I'll check in with Glen at Rising Sun Farms www.coloradoorganichops.com and Jessica at www.flyingsquirrelorganichops.com

I bought my rhizomes from Glen this spring, and he is a member here.

If you find other direct sources for organic hops, please share!

I had a Mikkellar 'Cluster' single-hop IPA recently, and Cluster really blew me away. An excellent hop - spicy, floral, clean. I imagine Ivanhoe would be pretty nice since it's from the same lineage.

California Cluster, Ivanhoe's ancestor, is historically what was used in California Common (steam) beers, right? Now, it's predominantly Northern Brewer, but historically it was Cluster, I think.

We have used Bravo on numerous occasions but in combination with other IIPA hop favs so I can only say that as a blended hop it is great. Never heard of or used Ivanhoe but I am intrigued and must get ahold of some and see what we can come up with.

I love to see that the bravo is being enjoyed! This hop is from my farm in Idaho. I currently have 18 acres of organic hops Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Bravo. I need a web page but i have enough trouble keeping inventory.

I love to see that the bravo is being enjoyed! This hop is from my farm in Idaho. I currently have 18 acres of organic hops Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Bravo. I need a web page but i have enough trouble keeping inventory.

I love Bravo! Just had a SMaSH IPA with Bravo and Maris Otter. Delicious!

Wow, small world, Idahohops! Well, I'm glad to have four ounces of your organic Bravo hops! We've just started drinking the IPA I made with them and its lovely, really good. Thank you for growing them, so that I can brew with them!

I've sent you a private message, when you have a moment to respond.

Cheers!

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone know where to get Ivanhoe hops now?

I've been searching around, but haven't come up with much; I only need an ounce.

Thanks for any suggestions -

Ron

Back