kettle options - holes/no holes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILuvIPA

Reaction score
Ok, need advice:

Ordered a heavy duty 8 gallon pot (I know, get the 10 gallon - but I got a great deal & 8 gal fits my need.) Pot arrived and instead of the plain pot they sent one with welded fittings: 1/2" mpt lower & 1/2" fpt upper. My first reaction was to send it back & get what I ordered - 8 gal. HD pot no holes. But now I'm second guessing myself. So I'd like some opinions - am I nuts if I send back the pot with welded fittings? But please consider (and believe) the following:

* I'm happy as a clam brewing 4.5 gallons stovetop for 3 gallons at bottling.
* Got the bigger pot for occasional 5 gallon batches.
* I have zero intention of ever building a tiered system or going past a 5 gallon batch.
* Currently I siphon from my 5 gallon pot to the fermenter, had intended to do the same with the 8 gallon pot. (Use a converted cooler for MLT so not likely to ever add a false bottom/mash in the pot.)

So am I nuts to send back the 8 gallon with welded fittings? Seems like the only advantage is to add a valve to drain wort to fermenter instead of siphoning. On the down side it's more stuff to disassemble & clean after each session. FYI I'm new, have been brewing for a year, but I do brew every week. Thoughts?

I'd really appreciate some experience/wisdom as I ponder my options :)

Keep it. Get a ball valve and a barbed fitting for the bottom and a thermometer for the top. You don't have to disassemble to clean. Instead of racking from your pot a simple piece of hose will do the trick. At the very least....buy two plugs and you can always expand later.

Thanks Hammy71 & inqchr1. . .solid comments. I'm keeping the kettle, ordered a 3 pc. ball valve/barb & plug (will plug the upper for now) from Bargain Fittings. They shipped today. (But I am going to disassemble the valvel & keep that sticky wort cleaned out!)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the nudge!

Back