Rehydrayed yeast left out overnight--use or toss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglehoo

Reaction score
I rehydrated some safale 05 last night to prime by t'ej (Calagione's recipe) for bottling this weekend, but managed in my sleep-deprived state to forget to add it to the carboy and left it uncovered on the counter all night. The yeast solution looks and smells like nothing more than yeast. Since my LHBS is 45+ minutes away and a major project to get to with 2 young kids, I would prefer not to have to go get more yeast. Should I consider this yeast contaminated and toss it, or should it be safe to use (the OG and FG of the brew in question are 1.085 and 1.020). Thanks!

Toss it. Dry yeast is cheap and its not worth risking an infection on a beer that size.

Dry yeast lasts and lasts, chalk this up as a lesson not to have a spare clean/generic like S-05 for emergencies!

If the yeast had been kept covered (as it should have been in the first place) it most likely would have been OK to use.
When you visit the LHBS to get more yeast make sure you grab a few extra packets to always keep in the fridge for these kinds of emergencies. ;)

Back