Clean Perlick 525 in Place?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnear76

Reaction score
According to Perlick, the 525 faucets can be cleaned in place. They also recommend not taking apart the handle assembly.

I was wondering what the board's thoughts are on this. It certainly would make cleaning out the lines easier if I did not remove the faucet from the shank. I just wonder if this is asking for a future infection/mold.

I still would take apart the quick disconnect, because there is sometimes dead yeast/hop residue hanging out in there.

Mike

I do the same. Take apart the QD, and run (your prefered cleaner) through the lines with warm/hot water. I usually run about 3-3.5 gallons through and then follow with a mixture of water and StarSan. Using Perlicks will cut down on the places that bacteria have to hide. You might also try and get some faucet plugs if you don't already have them.

Stew,

So do you remove your faucet or just keep it attached to the shank when you clean it?

I leave it attached. I have 4 Perlicks now since January, so it hasn't been that long. I plan to remove them for a full cleaning every six months or so. A good line rinse and sanitizing so be good enough between removals. I do feel however that that can change depending on the use your faucets see.

Hmmm... I like that idea. I probably will do a 3 month soak.

I just upgraded from picnic taps and man those things got nasty if you did not clean them often. I had to throw out two of them because I couldn't get the mold and beer stone off the nylon part of the tap. Luckily there wasn't that stuff on the quick disconnects. Live and learn I guess.

I just rehabbed my kegerator and took my faucets off to clean them (perlicks). It's really not that hard once you have the right tool to remove the shank nut (I made a custom 1" wrench with dreme to grab the nut enough to loosen and get them off my tower).

I soaked mine in very hot water, then ran them through the dishwasher, then reassembled and ran starsan through them and the new line I installed.

I hope this was the correct method!

Yeah I don't know if there is a wrong method.

I just found it a bit odd that Perlick recommended cleaning it without even removing the faucet from the shank. I guess in theory nothing will ever make it past the handle assembly.

I hope I did not overtighten the coupler connecting the shank to the faucet. Freaking thing leaked a bit when I just hand tightened it. :eek:

If you tightened your Perlicks more than hand tight, then you just ruined them. Sucks, I know. Just send them to me for recycling. ;)

They also recommend not taking apart the handle assembly.

Probably because they drip so bad. I regret ever buying these pieces of junk. My old perlicks, maybe a drop or two, these, more drops than necessary.

Back