Russian River Consecration Food Pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkade

Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Consecration from Russian River over the weekend, and I was wondering what I should prepare to eat with it. I was wondering if anyone had good food pairings with it. To make things more difficult, my New Year's Resolution was to go pescetarian, so no meat besides seafood is allowed. Any and all advice or banter is desired.

You could go with something like a strong blue cheese. Maybe a crostini with rosemary. I think it would pair perfectly with dark chocolate, as well. You'd want fatty and bold, and I hate to say it, but I think lamb or a great marbled steak would compliment it perfectly.

This will not hold up with fish. It is too overpowering and you'll be mismatched. Go for dessert with this beer or with a strong cheese.

You probably shouldn't try this, but I was drinking it in a bar when a friend's birthday cake (homemade banana cake) was served and the sourness of the Consecration cut right through the sweetness of the cake...was a totally random pairing but it was memorable.

Dry sour beers with sweet desserts can be amazing.

Surprisingly, Cantillon Kriek with Vanilla Wafers is quite delicious.

You could go with something like a strong blue cheese. Maybe a crostini with rosemary. I think it would pair perfectly with dark chocolate, as well. You'd want fatty and bold, and I hate to say it, but I think lamb or a great marbled steak would compliment it perfectly.

This will not hold up with fish. It is too overpowering and you'll be mismatched. Go for dessert with this beer or with a strong cheese.

I totally believe you about the lamb or steak, so maybe I should just hold onto the beer for the new year (or better yet, buy a new one). The blue cheese does sound really intriguing though. Thanks to everyone for the advice, and please keep it coming.

It'll age just fine. Remember that when thinking about Consecration, you have to treat it like a sour, but remember that the flavors from the Cabernet and currants really make this beer. So while something like a petrus aged pale might be ok with a fish dish of some sort, this one is just too much.

Back