first allgrain brewday pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haus pale ale

Had one boil over, and that was when it first reached boiling point. Thick foam came over the side and onto the deck.

The first AG is a learning experience, so expect everything to only get smoother. One thing that might help with boil overs is to get a BBQ'ing or grilling thermometer that you can dangle the probe over into your kettle without getting into the liquid. Set the alarm so that when it makes contact with the foam it will go off and you can come running with a spray bottle to douse the foam and break it up.

Hey, I know that MLT. Heres a picture from MY first AG this past Sunday.
3042754644_52df7c2fd9.jpg

I got my hardware from Bargain Fittings.

Did you have any trouble with the interior rubber gasket? I had to use the stock gasket, PLUS an inside 1/2" o-ring to make the seal watertight.

There was considerable temp loss during the mash. Twice during the mash, I drew off a couple quarts of wort, brought it a boil, and then added it back to the mash. Steam seemed to escape at the front of the lid near the handle grip. Everything worked out well though. My target gravity at the and of the boil was dead on (1.055).

This was my first full boil, and I managed to get my hands on a 15 gallon brew pot. I was totally worried about boilovers with my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer.

What did you wip up? This will be my very first ESB. :mug:

Did not notice any heat loss or steam coming from the lid. I did preheat the tun before mashing.

I had no problems with the rubber seal that came with the cooler, no leaks at all.

I made haus pale ale with a 7.5 gal turkey fryer and the only boil over was at the hot break.

I over heated the mash water and closed the lid before adding the grist, but the temp drop was still more than expected by BeerSmith and myself.

I saw a video with Bobby_M where he turned the heat of just below the boiling point, dumped his hops, and cranked up the flame after a quick stir. He didn't seem to get much foam from this. I'm not sure of what you did for damage control.

I want to do the Haus. Just have to use my other grains first.

The half empty HB is perfect. It shows you're workin, but not too hard. Mine's not easy to notice, but it's sitting there at the edge of the table. I had a HB Hef, and then a Warsteiner, and then a Pale, and then ... :cross:

I over heated the mash water and closed the lid before adding the grist, but the temp drop was still more than expected by BeerSmith and myself.

I saw a video with Bobby_M where he turned the heat of just below the boiling point, dumped his hops, and cranked up the flame after a quick stir. He didn't seem to get much foam from this. I'm not sure of what you did for damage control.

I want to do the Haus. Just have to use my other grains first.

The half empty HB is perfect. It shows you're workin, but not too hard. Mine's not easy to notice, but it's sitting there at the edge of the table. I had a HB Hef, and then a Warsteiner, and then a Pale, and then ... :cross:
that half empty glass of brew was my hydrometer sample. tasted bitter and sweet.

I got the boil over before I added any hops, btw. Not even close to any boil overs after that.

Back