white film after moving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleXL

Reaction score
I had to move my pale ale that was in a secondary BB last week the trip was about 45 minutes in the back of the truck it had been in the BB for about 2 weeks and was pretty stirred up after the trip but the air lock still had the same amount of vodka in it after the move and it was coverd the whole time to sheild from heat and light the best i could. Now that ive let it sit for another week since the move i have a layer of white film floating on top of the beer. Im not sure if this is ok or not. If anyone else has had the happen i sure would be greatful for any help at all.

All that movement kicked up a bunch of yeast to the surface, and more than likely caused a bit of fermentation to occur, so what you have is a small krauzen forming again.

Thank you for the quick responce i was getting a little nervous. hopefully ill get my kegging set up in the morn and ill be ready to go

Let it sit where it is for another week or two.

Gives any restarted activity time to complete, and let everything settle out again.

I think the white stuff is a different stage of yeast growth. My most severe incident was to use a warm weather yeast in the coolest part of the year. Had a bit of off flavor when new, but it aged out to be very good.

I just did a 1 1/2 batch, in two fermenters. One secondary got some bits of the white fluff, the other didn't. Much of the fluff stuck to the side during racking to the bottling bucket. No worry about the rest, it's all conditioning now.

Back