Hops not growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebstringer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I planted 11 rhizomes around the first of May. Three cascades, three Hallertau, two Tettnang, and three Willamette. Status update as of today, all three Cascades are finally growing, one of three Hallertau just popped through yesterday, one of the two Tettnang is a monster ( the other, havent seen anything) and none of the Willamette.

So is it normal for it to take two months for any activity? Im in southern ohio, and we have been having 90* heat for awhile now, and I have been keeping the ground moist. (afraid of over watering and rotting the rhizomes)

Thoughts?

Thanks
Caleb

Not really, but you may have gotten a few duds. Planting depth also makes a big difference. It's suggested to cover them with an inch or so of soil and I'd say 'less' is better as you can always throw some more soil/compost on the crown later. I'd really watch the watering due to the fact that they're not growing. If they're not growing they're not using any water~ only enough to keep them from totally drying out. I'd contact your supplier and see if they'll send some replacements. It's worth a shot. Good luck!

I always say to leave the white tip expose to the sun and within a few days, you will have a shoot. Plant the root and not the shoot tips.

We are not day laborers at a 1000 acre farm. We plant the roots differently.

I wouldn't dig them up at this point. Maybe carefully scrap some of the soil off the top of where you planted them. If you dig them up, you might dislodge the rootlets.

if you get a rhizome that has sprouts your supposed to plant it very shallow so that the bines poke out of the surface? isnt that going to leave the rhizome very close to the surface? never planted a rhizome i used crowns from Great Lakes but i have 5 rhizomes coming in on monday.

Rhizomes are supposed to be planted vertically. With 1-2 inches of dirt over them. Sometimes it seems to take forever for them to come up, but usually you just have to be patienant with them...

If you dig them up. Go deep and aim where the root is in the middle of the shovel. If it us soft dirt and semi wet then it shouldn't hurt the root.

Like I said before, we are not unskilled day - labourers. You do not have to be plant the roots like the hop farms. We are home gardeners, we plant different.

Back