Fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno Homebrewer

Reaction score
I got a 5 gal setup on saturday, and brewed my first batch yesterday. But I had purchased a Nut Brown ale for my Mr. Beer that I brewed a little over a week ago. I used liquid yeast for the batch. It still has a foamy head on it (Krausen?). Since it's a Mr. Beer (enough said), I didn't take an OG reading for it. It was supposed to be ready to bottle a few days ago. Can I bottle it with this foam still there, or do I need to wait for the foam to dissipate?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mike

I made my first batch using a Mr. Beer kit. If I remember correctly, the directions said to bottle after a week, then condition in those PET bottles for two weeks. They didn't taste that great at first, but after a few more weeks they turned out to be pretty good. If I had my time back I would have left the beer in the Mr. Beer keg for at least two weeks and in bottles for a month before I opened my first one.

I know the Mr Beer kits have directions, but I'm 98% sure that their advertising department wrote them. No beer is ready for bottling in one week. period. Leave it for three weeks then prime and bottle. Then wait one month before drinking. I know, I know people say all the time that they bottled sooner and drank sooner, but I promise you: It will taste great and you will be very proud of your brew if you follow accepted homebrew practices. Rush the hell out of the process (ie Mr Beer instructions) and you'll be dissapointed and won't be comfortable letting anyone else drink it.

Back