Question about yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagwag

Reaction score
I have some dry cider/mead yeast that I preserved in the fridge from my last cider batch and I want to use it for my next mead batch, how to I go about waking these puppies up and getting them going again?

If it's dry, you can usually just soak it in warm water for 15 min. The package should have that information on it.

I said the yeast was used before, so it's not dry, I followed instructions provided on this forum on how to re use yeast, you basically boil water then let it get to room temp, add it to the carboy that has the remaining yeast cake in it (after cider is racked), swirl then pour into canning jars and let sit in the refrigerator. I did all that, just don't know how to restart these puppies

What was the starting gravity of your cider?
How long did your cider sit on the yeastcake?
How long ago did you collect your yeastcake?
What size canning jar and how full is the yeast sediment?
What will the starting gravity be of your mead?

You may not have to do much, if anything, to reuse these yeast. Then again, if the cider was big then the yeast may not be in the best condition. And, now that I think of it, woodlandbrew posted a little bit ago about fruit having a negative affect on yeast (perhaps that's only beer/ale yeast?).

I said the yeast was used before, so it's not dry, I followed instructions provided on this forum on how to re use yeast, you basically boil water then let it get to room temp, add it to the carboy that has the remaining yeast cake in it (after cider is racked), swirl then pour into canning jars and let sit in the refrigerator. I did all that, just don't know how to restart these puppies

Sorry, I got the impression you didn't use the whole packet the way it sounded. And like stpug is saying, that if this was a high alcohol cider, then the yeast may be to stressed out to reuse.

I did some research on the yeast I used and it can handle up to 18% and the cider I did ended up at 11%. I only brewed 3 gal but used the entire pouch if yeast (5gal pack). My starting og for my mead is going to be somewhere around 1.15 or so. Plus I have a good amount of yeast energizer, and nutrient. If it can potentially mess up my mead I'll get a new pack of yeast.

Back