Should I cold crash a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobs126

Reaction score
I am making a close resemblance of a summer wheat that turned out great last year. I have some citrus peel and some coriander in the boil that adds a nice citrus flavor profile. I am fermenting this as my first brew in my newly acquired chest freezer with a control at 67 F. I plan on give a d rest at 70 . I was wondering was it appropriate to crash cool a wheat beer or would that sort of defeat the purpose of a cloudy wheat beer?

For a wheat it is really not necessary to cold crash as wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy. In fact, for a proper pour it is recommended to gently roll the bottle prior to pouring so the roused up yeast goes into the glass

Thanks, that's what I thought. Also, does anyone have any experience racking on top of citrus peel? I would think I would have to soak in vodka first to kill any wild yeast. Does this add anything or is it any worth it?

mhobs126 said:
Thanks, that's what I thought. Also, does anyone have any experience racking on top of citrus peel? I would think I would have to soak in vodka first to kill any wild yeast. Does this add anything or is it any worth it?

It does. Yes, soak in vodka first and drain to sanitize and then add. You only want the zest, no white pith, it's bitter!

Personally if I want citrus in my beer I add a wedge so I can't help you with the amount needed.

i've had good luck cold crashing my wit biers and they still are cloudy and witty....LOL!

as for the orange just serve with a slice.....and next time throw some zest into the last few minutes of the boil.........

GD:mug:

Not all wheat beers are meant to be cloudy! You can occasionally find a Kristal weissen, typically from Germany, but the occasional US version too. Back when the craft brew business was just getting started I remember a Kristal weissen from a brewery in Michigan (closed :( ) that I loved. Great lawnmover beer!

Back