Welch's grape juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayneh

Reaction score
Has anyone done welchs grape juice with wine yeast. If so how did it come out

A lot of wineries source the same Welch's Concord juice to make their wine, so yes you can make a nice wine with it. But uf you can find some concord grapes toss some of those in too. I make concord wine from juice each year. Is a nice table wine plus I love to blend with it sometimes. Personally, I think if you are making wine you shoyld use wine yeast..better outcome in majority of cases.

I made my first ever wine in a welches bottle with a balloon airlock and bread yeast and to me it was awesome.

Thanks for the info. I used lalvin 71b-1122 so i should be good.

I actually started this a few weeks ago using the same yeast. It smells amazing and I can't wait to actually get to drink some. I make 3 gallons and I though about breaking it out into 3 gallon jugs and oaking one of them and doing something else to one and then Comparing the 3 to see which I liked better.

I've made a half dozen batches of Welch's Red wine, it's not bad and easy to do. I always use Montrachet and my most recent was oaked with great results. I'll be opening a bottle tomorrow night at a wine tasting party I'm hosting, it probably won't compare well to a Bordeaux or a Pinot Noir but it should impress some of my friends.

Let me know how it taste. How long has it aged in bottles?

About 6 months now, I'll be sure to report back. Though there are going to be nearly 20 other bottles so I may have a hard time recalling specifics.

The oak wasn't very perceptible, I should have left the oak chips in the carboy another month. It's fruity, simple and smooth with a bit of acidity on the back end. Everyone agreed that it was tasty but not as good as the 2006 Oyster Bay Pinot Noir from New Zealand.

Back