Effects of cooler fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eckythump

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I closed all vents in my brew room and got it down to 60. The on-going fermentations all continued bubbling away, and two new batches haven't had any issues yet.

Except for the possibility of stuck fermentations, are there other effects of fermenting at lower temperatures?

Out of curiosity, I closed all vents in my brew room and got it down to 60. The on-going fermentations all continued bubbling away, and two new batches haven't had any issues yet.

Except for the possibility of stuck fermentations, are there other effects of fermenting at lower temperatures?

Greatly improved flavor and far less of fusels methanol and other bad ****?

Tupacs US-05 in ur biggest brew. Onepac in your normal test.

njoy

As stated, the main thing you'll notice is a leap forward in quality. I think it's one of the top three or four things you can do to improve.
I've dropped into the 50's for short times without stalling, so don't get too paranoid about it.

It all depends what you want. are you looking for a more lager like beer that is cleaner? Depending on the ale you are trying to brew, you may want some of those fruity esters that come with a litter high temps. It just depends on what you want.

Fermented my last 2 batches in the high 50s with great results. Pay attention to the effective temp range of your particular choice of yeast though.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I have 7 brews on the go in here. Half are using wine yeasts and the others Nottingham. From the packets, they should all be fine down here at 60.

Why ferment so low i say, at least ramp up slowly so attenuation doesn't lag at the end. You dont have to worry about fusels until high 70's or 80's.
Going to 60 does not "Greatly improve flavor" either, just less esters from the yeast, for some beers you would make worse at 60 compared to 65 or 68. If it was belgian 60 would be lame, in the highest sense of the word: uninspiring and dull.

It all depends what you want. are you looking for a more lager like beer that is cleaner? Depending on the ale you are trying to brew, you may want some of those fruity esters that come with a litter high temps. It just depends on what you want.

This is correct

Latest posts

Back