Hoppy Mead ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwoodforge

Reaction score
I used the search, but could not find any recipes for Hoppy meads, any one have a suggestion ?
I was just going to do a basic semi dry mead using lavin D-47 yeast, Yeast nutrient, 9 lbs of wild flower honey 3 lbs buckwheat honey 1 cup of OJ for the acid , and adding 3 or more Oz of Cascade hops , and see what happens. :rockin:

I have made many other metheglins, but not with hops....i don't believe it woud be the greatest mix of flavors...have you made a traditional mead first to determine that flavor?

Made quite a few meads since becoming gluten intolerant, these are my favorite commercial versions ( use Google Chrome's translator to view - as the website is only in danish )
Dansk Mjød
http://www.mjod.dk/node/12
Viking Blod Mjød
http://www.mjod.dk/node/48
Back when I used to be able to have beer I was a total hop head. Looking for that same Hoppy experience with the honey from my Bees :)

I have made many other metheglins, but not with hops....i don't believe it woud be the greatest mix of flavors.

I kind of have this thought in my head as well. I'm just not sure that a hoppy mead is something that sounds good.

My specialty store has two bottles of commercial hopped Methaglin that I've been meaning to try out to see if I like it. It's rather pricey though and I have a hard time pulling the trigger.

I have made many other metheglins, but not with hops....i don't believe it woud be the greatest mix of flavors...have you made a traditional mead first to determine that flavor?

I kind of have this thought in my head as well. I'm just not sure that a hoppy mead is something that sounds good.

My specialty store has two bottles of commercial hopped Methaglin that I've been meaning to try out to see if I like it. It's rather pricey though and I have a hard time pulling the trigger.

Oh ye of little faith!!! Hop metheglin is indeed awesome, if I do say so myself...

For the OP: unless all you plan to do is dry hop, you may have to become a heretic and <gasp> boil a portion of your honey in order to have a vehicle to extract bitterness. I both boil a solution of water and half my honey, and dry hop after primary. I suppose there's plenty of room to experiment here too...you could perhaps heat only to beer sparge temps (~180*F) and do a sort of "first must hopping." Regardless, in order to get any bittering you will need some heat.

I do think you need some residual sweetness, so you may need to be prepared to stabilize and backsweeten. I think a FG after backsweetening of about 1.010-1.012 is about perfect

i don't believe it woud be the greatest mix of flavors

the Viking Blod hybiscus and hop mead is delicious! I am planning on making something along thoes lines soon... mmmmm hops....

Well if you want to be leaning more towards beer you'll want to make it a hopped hydromel. I'm surprised no one mentioned this.

I used an old Ukrainian mead recipe, that called for hops and black tea, which is by far the family favorite. My wife is from Russia, so it was for her, I used 1 oz of a russian hop I cannot remember the name of and 1 oz of styrian goldings. The honey was local yellow star thistle and sage.

Latest posts

Back