Choosing the right size element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blowntri5

Reaction score
I have a 7.75 gallons keg that I am going turn into a ekeggle and I was wondering what size element to use. It would have to be 120v as don't have 220v in the garage. Do I need to go with two elements? Thanks for the help.

There's a lot of testings on the forum here, but I think the general consensus is 2000W can only boil about 6gallons. So yeah, you might want to go with two elements.

Make sure you got 2 seperate 20A circuits in the garage for two 2000W elements. you cant run more than one per circuit.

two seperate circuits in the breaker box, a 2000W element will pull like 17 amps so you need two diffrent circuits or you'll trip the breakers.

I will check the box in the morning. I am pretty sure that I have two 20 amps curcuits in the box already. Thanks for the info.

I am using (2) 1,650 watt elements so that I could use existing circuits that have fans & lights on them.

See my sig for the build. :mug:

Edit, I boil off 1 gallon per hour at 3,300 watts.

Is your breaker box in the garage? If so it would be very easy to add a 220 outlet. Otherwise you will want two separate 110 gfci circuits and two elements as stated before.

Yet another question. The cable that is coming from my breaker box and going to the garage has 4 wires. can I just put a breaker box in the garage and put in 220v?

Yet another question. The cable that is coming from my breaker box and going to the garage has 4 wires. can I just put a breaker box in the garage and put in 220v?

Not if it is being fed from a 120V breaker in the box. But if the wire is 10 gauge or larger (smaller numbers) you could potentially use it with a new 30amp 240V breaker to bring it to the garage. You would want either use a GFCI breaker, or a regular breaker with the Home Depot spa panel that you could use in the garage. That being said, it is not likely that you have 10 gauge wire going to a 120V 20A receptacle, as it is likely no larger than 12.

I did some looking and the cable that is coming from the breaker box and going to the garage is a four wire cable. One of the wires say 12awg. So can I just put a breaker box in the garage and make 220v?

I did some looking and the cable that is coming from the breaker box and going to the garage is a four wire cable. One of the wires say 12awg. So can I just put a breaker box in the garage and make 220v?

Again, if you have a 20amp 120V breaker in the breaker box that feeds 12/4 wire to the garage, you only have 120V in the garage.

Back