SQ14 Bayou Classic Burner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscostew

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone who has an SQ14 can vouch for there performance on a cold weather brew day? This sunday I brewed a batch, started at 8 gal with plans on boiling down to 7, in about 32 degree weather and my cheap turkey fryer burner could barely get it to a rolling boil. I wound up boiling off about 3/4 of a gallon after an hr and a half boil at full blast. I obviously need an upgrade and was thinking this might be the one. Also assuming it can do a ten gallon boil in a spring/summer brew session. Thanks in advance.

I just ordered another one... I have brewed 12 gallon batches in 15*F weather on my old SQ14... For the money you can't beat em...

I use an SQ 14 in my garage (door open) when the temps are in the 30s (in the garage) with no problem.

The SQ 14 does not have a wind shield, though, and that can sometimes be a problem.

I heat a keggle on an SQ14 with no issues -- 5 or 10 gallon batches. Before I went partial electric, I would typically get 4-5 brew days out of a 20lb. propane tank.

The SQ-14 can easily handle 12 gallon batches and more. I've boiled 14 gallons in near zero weather no problem. Wind is always a problem with most burners, but this one seems to be able to handle mild breezes OK. It burns quite efficiently, but your fuel economy mostly depends how how heavy footed you are with the throttle. I think I can get about 4-5 60 minute boils out of a tank, but I'm guessing at that as I've never kept track closely. I should weigh a tank before and after some time to see just what the mileage is under normal use.

It's great with a keggle... I got atleast 4 brew days out of a standard tank, and we were still using it on my buddies grill to tailgate, etc...

this burner works awesome with a keggle. i can normally get 7 gallons up to a nice rolling boil in 20 minutes or so. and as of yet a minimum of three batches per 20# tank via BIAB utilizing 90 minute mashes and a number of 90 minute boils.

regarding the bayou classic 'wind shield' claim: it works well, but i can make a suggestion that works a whole bunch better and will save a ton of fuel.

in the heating/ventilation section at either home depot or lowe's pick up a ventilation duct reducer (not sure what it's called technically; this is what i'm calling it :) the size should be a 7" down to a 6". it sort of looks like a short version of the tin man's hat from 'wizard of oz'... but it will fit perfectly over the burner and do a superb job of protecting the flame.

you're going to need to shear off about 1/4" from the 7" end and then cut a path for the banjo with tin snips. you'll have to remove the burner from the frame, install the windbreak over the burner and then reinstall. done correctly, you will have a press fit between the frame and burner. so be careful on your cutting of that '1/4"'....

so i thought that i had pictures of this; turns out that i don't. if you're really interested in this please let me know and i will shoot a couple this weekend and post to this thread.

erik

Latest posts

Back