Calling all Blichmann 20gal pot owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Do you do single batches in these? I'm thinking going 15/15/20 on my next setup. I do more than half single batches (6 gallons/8.5 preboil). My double batches are at 15 gallons preboil. Just wanted to make sure everything will work well before I drop $1000 on pots. I'm thinking so, since these pots are taller than they are wide.:mug:

I don't have the Blichmann pot, but I have checked them out in the store. They are definitely a nice choice. Personally, I chose a heavy duty 15 gallon pot from Morebeer, because I wanted a pot that was heavier/thicker with the tri-ply bottom. I also wanted to outfit the pot with only what I really needed: I didn't need the sight glass or the thermometer, but you may like the extras. I don't think you can go wrong with the Blichmann, especially the Blichmann kettle kit deals you can get off Midwest Brewing Supplies.

When you buy their kits, you save more. Look at their all-grain kettle kits, you will see what I mean. I do have the blichmann burner, which is very nice, and weighs just under 30 pounds, it's big and heavy duty!

I love my twenty. i am looking at getting a second 15gal pot for the hlt though, 10 gallon cooler is just a bit small, have to refill with a 4 gallon pot for fly sparging

How much water do you need in the kettle before the thermometer is contacted?

I'm not sure of the exact height, but the 15 gal version requires about six gallons of liquid before it is contacted. I'll be brewing again within the next two weeks, so I'll follow up with a detailed measurement.

I debated on the 20 gal versus 15 gal for a day...then I discovered my LHBS had the 15 gal in stock...went with the 15 gal. :) My next brew will be a ten gallon batch, so I'll see how prudent a decision I made on the "smaller" kettle.

I have two twenties and a fifteen gal blichmann, I do a double decoction, I do ten and fifteen gallon batches in mine. I think anything less will go below the thermometer but if you had a separate thermometer in it you can go smaller batch. :mug:

I normally brew 12 gallons and I have two 20 gal Blichmanns for MT and Boil. I have the 15 gallon Morebeer for a HLT. 5-6 gallon batches don't hit the thermometer in the BK. Depending on grain bill sometimes in the MT.

I prefer the Blichmann kettles -- I like how the lids hang on the handles for quick storage. The welds for the handle broke on my Morebeer lid. I also like the tilting "Brewmometers" and the sight gauges. Those make it faster/easier to hit volumes. On the 20 gallon kettles the sight glasses start around 3.5 gallons.

They are lighter and easier to move around but at the end of a batch I can see a "print" of the metal parts of my burner so the heat distribution is better on the Morebeer with the thicker bottom. I don't seem to scorch anything, more like an outline of baked on proteins. I don't have actual data to support, but it seems my boil-off rate is less than when I only had the Morebeer kettle. For 10-12 gallon batches, it is harder to boil over in the bigger kettles but still possible.

I got about a 10% efficiency boost going from a cooler and CPVC manifold to the Blichmann false bottom especially on bigger beers (from the high 60's to the high 70's). The pick up tube works better for me than the Morebeer silicone and copper contraption too, though both are adequate.

If I was going to be doing mostly 5-6 gallon batches, I'd probably plug the original thermometer hole and punch a new hole to move the thermometer down -- especially in the mash tun.

.....I don't seem to scorch anything, more like an outline of baked on proteins. I don't have actual data to support, but it seems my boil-off rate is less than when I only had the Morebeer kettle. .

Is the MoreBeer kettle larger or smaller in diameter?

They are almost identical in diameter -- both are between 17-5/8 and 17-3/4. That's for the 15 gallon MoreBeer compared to the 20 gallon Blichmann. I don't know the diameter of the larger kettles from MoreBeer. The boil-off rate wouldn't be enough to sway me one way or the other.

I do 80% 5 gal batches (I actually scale to 7 so I won't be tempted to pull trub into the keg) and I have been wrestling about whether to get the 15 or 20 gallon Blichmann. My biggest concern was the boil off rate. I think you might have convinced me. I'll tell the SWMBO to blame you bneal.

Yeah I wouldn't count on those thermometers being in a good place for smaller batches. It's fine for a 12 gallon batch but not so much for a 6 gallon one.

You can punch a second hole and move it. Blichmann sells hole plugs specifically for this.

I have 3 x 20 gallon Blichmanns but never boil less than 10 gallon batches (kegged amount so about 11-12 gallons post boil).

Kal

Would be nice if they offered it non punched. That was one of the drivers for me to buy another brand of 15 gallon pot. Now I'm sad and wished I just ignored the therm for 5 gallon batch boils

Another faithful Blingman owner here. I own a 20 gal mash tun wit the false bottom, a 20 gal. boiler maker with the hop screen, and a 30 gal. boiler maker for my 23 gallon batches. I have never been let down with these pots.

The kettle arrived over the weekend. Now to work up the courage to pop a hole in it for the Recirc port. I do plan also to move the thermometer down a couple of inches.

Worked up the courage to put holes in the new Blichmann 20 gallon Boilermaker. I put a 1/2" hole at the four gallon mark for the thermometer and a 7/8" hole at the 13 gallon mark for recirculation port. Getting the pilot holes drilled was the toughest part (next to calming my nerves.)

Kettle w holes.jpg

Worked up the courage to put holes in the new Blichmann 20 gallon Boilermaker. I put a 1/2" hole at the four gallon mark for the thermometer and a 7/8" hole at the 13 gallon mark for recirculation port. Getting the pilot holes drilled was the toughest part (next to calming my nerves.)

Looks good. What did you use to make the holes?

The 7/8" hole was made with a Greenlee hydraulic punch. The 1/2" hole was made with an Irwin step bit. I used a butt load of Harbor Freight HSS bits for the pilot holes.

I'm thinking of building an electric RIMS system so trying to figure out the best way to set it all up. I'm curious why you drilled a hole for the recirc port. Is that preferable to just placing the hose through the top of the kettle and holding it in pace with the weight of the lid?

I have a HERMS with a 15 gal Blichmann, and used to just place the hose through the top of the kettle and holding it in place with the weight of the lid. It worked, but was inconvenient if I wanted to lift the lid for any reason. Also when moving hoses it gets to be a pain when you're worried about things falling and touching the ground.

I drilled the hole for recirc a bit and put a QD on it. Now I just hook my hose up and forget about it. It's the way to go.

15x3 here. Retrospectively, I wish I had done 20/20/10. I have never sparged more than 8.5 gallons on a ten gallon batch. The 20 gal mash tun would be nice for doing 10 gal higher gravity brews. I have maxed mine out a few times. BK be nice to have larger size for those 90 min boils without as much boilover problems.
TD

Back