1st year hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
I planted my rhizomes (1 each of Cascade, Magnum, and Nugget) April 4th and I still haven't seen any sprouts. I was under the impression that I could see sprouts as early as 1 week. What may have happened is that I buried them them too deep. I read that they should be 3-5 inches under the soil, but I have recently read other things that say as shallow as 1 inch. They were probably 3 inches below the soil line and then I mounded up some dirt to try and improve drainage another 2 inches. Are they way too deep? Is that going to hurt them in any way, or will it just delay their first sprouts? I never thought I'd be so worried about growing what is effectively a weed.

1 week?

It is usually somewhere around 3 weeks (at least it was for me).

Wait a few more weeks and I'm sure you will be fine.

I planted mine about 2" two weeks ago and finally saw one of the six break ground a few days ago. I'm sure you'll be fine - and watching them double in size soon.

well, it will be 3 weeks this Sunday. How long before I should give up on these bad boys? I have to drive 1/2 hour out to my in-law's house to water them and I've been going out every other day.

I think you should still wait it out. 3 weeks is the average, it may be more or may be less.

The LHBS just had theirs sprout the other day, said it took about 2.5 weeks. Never have grown my own but I want to!

Back