Lemon-ginger metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Dog Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is about my 6th batch of mead and I have used the Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast for my last 3 batches with good results.

I can't seem to get this to ferment to completion. I don't recall my starting gravity (it's written in my log at home), but I'm sure it was around 1.080 and now this batch is at 1.030 and 5% ABV (using a Vinometer to determine). It has not fallen clear, so I suspect all the yeast has not fallen out yet. I moved it into the house to keep it from getting too cold. Yesterday it was between 68 and 70 deg F.

Last week I added a sachet of Red Star Montrachet wine yeast hoping that I could get this batch to finish out. Nothing, or very little progress has been made.

It doesn't taste bad, like hard lemonade. Not what I was hoping for anyway. I'm starting to wonder if the acidity of the lemon juice is stifling my yeast. Any ideas on how to proceed? :(

TIA for any input

I'd say it's a PH problem (too low) from the lemon juice. How much lemon juice did you put in? Did you add any nutrients? If you can, test a sample with a PH test kit. You can reduce acidity with calcium carbonate or potassium bicarb and/or thinning with water. If you thin, you can always add more honey after to bring your SG back up again. Regards, GF.

I learned the hard way that lemon juice doesn't really add any flavour to a mead, it just adds acid. You'll get more flavour from the zest of those lemons. Regards, GF.

Update: I added about 1/2 cup of Baking Soda to the Metheglin to reduce the Acid (raise the pH) and fermentation has completed. I'm just waiting for it to clarify now.

Next time you might want to use potassium carbonate or potassium bicarb. The sodium version (aka baking soda) can make your mead taste "salty" and as well may not be good for people on sodium restricted diets.

Latest posts

Back