American hops for a friend in Argentina

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a homebrewer friend in Argentina who I'd like to surprise with some American hops they might not be able to get easily down there. I'm a new brewer and am not familiar with any hops from that region, nor am I really familiar with typical brew styles there either. Does anyone have any good recommendations as far as good hops to send to him would go? I imagine they brew mostly lighter ales and lagers, so perhaps a strong American hop that goes well with a lighter, lager-like beer? I'd ask him directly but prefer the element of surprise.

Thanks!

South America's beer selection in general is almost exclusively Brazilian-made light lagers similar to bud, miller, coors, etc. Craft beer anywhere south of Texas in the western hemisphere is near non-existent.

They are dominated my light lagers just like we are. They have the occasional amber lager, dark lager and blonde.

However there are some craft breweries who make some great beer that is quite unlike Quilmes. Otro Mundo and Cerveceria Austral make some pale ales and other english styles. I never found anything down there to be much like an american craft beer.

I'd send him some cascades, amarillo, centennial and simcoe and blow his mind.

Thanks! Those are good ideas; I was thinking about Citra or Centennial as well. Really just wanted to make sure they don't typically get anything like our American hops down there. Thinking about a half lb of Centennial and a half lb of Cascade with a few ounces of something stronger, ie. Simcoe, Columbus. I especially like the idea of Cascade as I know Argentina has their own very different version of Cascade.

Cheers!

South America's beer selection in general is almost exclusively Brazilian-made light lagers similar to bud, miller, coors, etc. Craft beer anywhere south of Texas in the western hemisphere is near non-existent.

I don't agree. Brazil have a nicely growing craft beer scene, with lots of homebrew associations and clubs....

I agree they do have a fast growing scene. Craft beer has roughly a 4-5% US marketshare. In South America it is a small fraction of that. That's why I said *nearly* non existent. No disrespect, it's just tiny, they'll grow with time I'm sure.

I think I would stick with the big American "C" hops. Might be extreme as far as bittering a lager but I think having a citrusy nose to a lager would be interesting. I had a Three Floyd's Irish Red over the weekend and it had amazing hop aroma and flavor, not tremendously typically for that style, but great! The same could, would, and should go for a uniquely crafted lager.

I remember having a awesome sweet stout in El Calafate. Though they are ruled my light lagers, I am sure a home brewer would be like us and love flavorful beer. I am sure that is what people say about the us and what we brew. Send him some Simcoe, Cent., Chinook stuff like this.

Ended up getting a bunch of Cascade and a couple ounces of Columbus--couldn't find much else within my price range at the LHBS. Thanks for the tips!

Back