High abv RIS-WLP099 or WLP002?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danbreeze

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a really strong RIS in the next few weeks and was wondering if I should ferment it with a starter of White Labs Super High Gravity yeast or a big starter of WLP002?

I read that WLP099 can produce fruity esters which I am hoping to avoid, but I was not sure if I just fermented the stout at a lower temp if that could be avoided. I was also not sure if the WLP would crap out before my FG was reached.

Thanks for your help :mug:

what is your targeting starting gravity?

Without knowing a lot I would suggest WLP007 actually, it will have the attenuation you need for a high gravity brew and still be a English yeast, also handles high alchohol well.

If you're a new brewer and you don't have the capability to make a BIG starter (probably need 2000ml or more), you could try pitching 2 packets of Safale S-04 instead of WLP002. Oh wait want to avoid fruity esters? Then use US-05 instead.

what is your targeting starting gravity?

Without knowing a lot I would suggest WLP007 actually, it will have the attenuation you need for a high gravity brew and still be a English yeast, also handles high alchohol well.

I dont have the recipe with me so I am not sure the exact og.

I had not considered WLP007 but that is good to know. Thanks!

i just brewed a 10% RIS with US-05. just two rehydrated packs, got to terminal within the week i believe.

Back