Hubby away... left beer in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineDrinker

Reaction score
Hello,

I need some advice please. My hubby left for Angola and was expected back after 2 or so weeks. He made a batch of Fat Tyre (Belgium amber esk ale) before he left and left it in the primary fermentation carboy --- it has now nearly 5 weeks. The bubbly has stopped and I'm feeling like I should do something --- I just don't know what.

What do you all advise --- should I bottle it, with some priming sugar in each bottle or should I put it into secondary fermentation and add something (like yeast or sugar) --- any (tactful and none derogatory) suggestions would be helpful :eek: ?

Thanks,
The wine drinking, bread maker.

Welcome to HBT!

I don't want to insult you but do you know how to bottle? I ask because it is slightly more complicated than racking to secondary. If you have any doubt about how it is done, rack to secondary where it can sit for months without issue.

If bottling, bulk priming is the preferred method. Boil up the priming sugar with a couple cups of water, add to bottling bucket, and rack beer onto it.

Hello,

I need some advice please. My hubby left for Angola and was expected back after 2 or so weeks. He made a batch of Fat Tyre (Belgium amber esk ale) before he left and left it in the primary fermentation carboy --- it has now nearly 5 weeks. The bubbly has stopped and I'm feeling like I should do something --- I just don't know what.

What do you all advise --- should I bottle it, with some priming sugar in each bottle or should I put it into secondary fermentation and add something (like yeast or sugar) --- any (tactful and none derogatory) suggestions would be helpful :eek: ?

Thanks,
The wine drinking, bread maker.

You can leave it be for a few more weeks without causing any harm.

I like the answer of Clonefarmer the best!!!! Thanks! The hubby should be back within a couple of weeks, I may just leave it... that seems like the easiest solution :) If it's longer than that I may take to a secondary...

Yep - and for the record I am familiar with the rigors of sanitization (I am normally the one that does that in the background --- a.k.a chief bottle washer ;-) )

The easiest solution is not always the best. While the beer is sitting there, yeast are dying. As they die, nasty things start happening in that fermenter.

Leave it if you want, but if I came home to find that my wife ruined a batch of my beer instead of racking it (especially if I found out she asked HBT, and the folks there said to rack it) I'd be pretty upset.

The easiest solution is not always the best. While the beer is sitting there, yeast are dying. As they die, nasty things start happening in that fermenter.

Leave it if you want, but if I came home to find that my wife ruined a batch of my beer instead of racking it (especially if I found out she asked HBT, and the folks there said to rack it) I'd be pretty upset.

Its really the hubby's fault.....But ya it should be racked.

Excellent prompt advice - thanks everyone!

It seems I've still got a little while (1 or 2 weeks) before I really have to start worrying (... and you're right, I don't want to end up in the doghouse --- otherwise I might end up as the secondary rack :D )

Back