Big batch brewers, why do you do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I'm the only beer drinker in my house and I just upgraded from 5 to 10 gallon batches. I'm pretty happy with the increase in volume, but I don't really see myself going bigger. Friends and family drink my beer when they visit, but I don't have big parties and I'm not brewing for others.

A number of people on this forum brew 20 to 30 gallon batches, and some larger. I'd like to know what your reasons are. Do you have really big families or moochers? Do you throw big parties? Brew for charity events? Own a brewpub? Drink a LOT of beer? Do it for the challenge? Do it to reduce the time you spend brewing?

I'm just curious. I'm wondering what motivates you to brew those huge batches?

Never done a big batch but from what I've read. Doing a 10 gallon batch is easier than doing a 5 gallon batch twice. You only have to mash once and boil once. If you have a limited amount of days you can brew than you can make the most of it. As I said earlier, never did a big batch but I have been the victim of my own generosity an moochers. I love to share but it would be nice to have some beer left over after a big party.

I'm planning an upgrade to 10 gallon batches so that I have more beer per day spent brewing. I enjoy brew day but sometimes I find myself reluctant to open or give away too many homebrews because of the amount of effort that goes into each one. I'm getting a kegging setup for the same reason. I want a little bit less effort per fluid ounce. Also, having a bigger stash makes for easier aging.

I want a little bit less effort per fluid ounce. Also, having a bigger stash makes for easier aging.

+1 on that. Effort per fluid oz was a factor in my upgrade to 10 gallon, which justified buying a 14.5 gallon conical, which justified my recent purchase of 12 cornies and a chest freezer and assorted other kegging gear. :mug:

All my batches are five gallons for now, but I would love to brew 10-20 gallons at once of my favorite recipes. The less often I have to brew my favorites, the more brew sessions I have open for seasonals, experiments, and new recipes.

Of course, in addition to being a brewing enthusiast, I'm also a drinking enthusiast. I rarely have the time/energy/money to brew as much as I consume. That's why I switch to PBR once I'm a few homebrews deep.

+1 on that. Effort per fluid oz was a factor in my upgrade to 10 gallon, which justified buying a 14.5 gallon conical, which justified my recent purchase of 12 cornies and a chest freezer and assorted other kegging gear. :mug:

+1, amen. I have people over almost every weekend who like beer and chip in on ingredients, as well as family that likes home brew on birthdays, special occasions, etc. I got tired of brewing every week, and now things get to chill for over a month before I keg them, and nearly another month cold before going on tap. Much improved my beer.

+1 to having enough beer around to appreciate properly conditioned ale before it is gone.
+1 to having enough beer to give away to those that really appreciate it.
+1 to having limited time to brew, so larger batches last longer.

The smallest batch I brew now is 10 gal, with typical batches 15 gal. I don't drink excessively (i don't think ;-)), but I don't have a ton of beer around for the above reasons.

Back