Amazon.ca order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I need to build up my brewing libriary so I decide to order some books from Amazon.ca. I order Designing Great Beers, How to Brew, and Beer Enthusiast's Guide. I deliberately chose three books so that I would qualify for their free shipping.

Yesterday I get an email from them telling that the Beer Enthusiast's Guide is unavailable and has been deleted from my order. Any special offers associated with it have been removed as well. You guessed it. They removed a $15 book from my order and tacked on $8 shipping. When I found that out, my family very tactfully kept their distance until the histrionics abated. I then wrote this letter:

I had ordered three books to take advantage of the free shipping option. You canceled one book due to availability and then charged me shipping. That is not what I'd agreed upon. Please cancel the entire order. If the order is shipped anyway, I will not be held responsible for any charges to my credit card. Any unauthorized charges will be reversed and it will be the responsibility of Amazon.ca to retrieve their merchandise. For a nominal shipping and handling charge, I will return the merchandise within seven days of reversing the charges on my card.

The next day they had reversed the shipping charges and sent my remaining two books along. This made me happy, but it brought up a couple of other issues. First, it seemed very much like a form letter was sent to me. Maybe not, but it appeared to me that this might be something they do and will take the shipping off if challenged. It just seemed underhanded to me. Second, my letter said to cancel the order. It didn't say to take the shipping off or cancel the order. So they shipped the remaining books anyway and charged my card. What if I'd ordered a trilogy and the first book was the one that was unavailable?

I'll likely order from Amazon again but I'll have to keep an eye on them. I certainly won't order anything where I have to have all or none of the books I order. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Ive actually had nothing but good experiences with amazon.ca ... But I was never in your situation before,, something I will definetly watch out for from now on... but I must admit... when their books are in stock I always receive them with 2-3 days..

They messed up an order of mine too.

I received a very defective propane burner and did the paperwork involved to return it, not replace it. I also wrote them an email telling them how disappointed I was by their lack of QC. I later received an email from them telling me that I'd have a new burner sent to me free of charge. Then I thought about it a few minutes and realized that they might have changed it to a replacement, and not given me my money back. I called, and sure enough, whoever received my email changed my input and I had to spend nearly 30 minutes on the phone with the lady in India to fix it so I didn't get another burner and would get my money back. How retarded do they have to be. I won't be buying from Amazon again as a result of this experience.

I didn't buy any thing on amazon.com when I was shopping there because all the reviews blast amazon for sucking and delivering crappy product.

never once had an issue with Amazon.com. I use them every time Im deployed and they get me my stuff within 5 days

I've had nothing but good luck with Amazon.ca but Chapters.ca did the same thing to me one time Fingers.

I've been beefing up my brewing library as well as of late. I've been buying up the classic styles books in the styles I'm thinking of brewing or already enjoy brewing.

I've bought a ton of stuff from Amazon over the past 10 years or so.

The same thing you describe happened to one of my orders.

I just sent an e-mail stating that I had intentionally bought enough merchandise to qualify for free shipping, and they removed the shipping charge.

I have nothing but good things to say about amazon, and I have spent a bunch there... both business (a whole lotta' $) and personal (quite a bitta' $).

They stand by their own, as well as there 3rd party merchants, products and have made their few screw-ups right by me.

Eric

Back